Author Topic: ...#2 or #3 decisions decisions...  (Read 16992 times)

Jerz

• Atlanta, GA
...#2 or #3 decisions decisions...
« on: August 30, 2013, 06:26:57 AM »
Wow.... seems like an incredible electric smoker!  I've been using the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker for about a year now and love it except for last Saturday when I wanted to go to the lake but couldn't because I had some smokin' to do...  I realized I needed a set it and forget it thing and was looking at the masterforges of the world but don't like the build qualit, then I was looking at Cookshack but couldn't stomach what they wanted for those things...  These seem absolutely PERFECT but I just need to decide on the Model 2 or 3?  I've been just smoking a couple of 8lb pork butts so I'm thinking the #2 would be perfect but for four full racks of ribs the Model 3 is looking better.... then the weight factor... 80lbs for the model 2 is nice; 130lbs might be a bit much if I wanted to move around....

I guess I'll keep reading; I'm really enjoying the boards and everything the Smokin-It has to offer... Cheers....
Why reinvent the wheel?  Get yer smoke on....
Smokin' with the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker for about a year.... Model 3 for a minute... Monitoring with the iGrill with the Android App... :D

Jerz

• Atlanta, GA
Re: ...#2 or #3 decisions decisions...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 07:09:44 AM »
ok... it's loaded in the cart... just need to push a button....
Smokin' with the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker for about a year.... Model 3 for a minute... Monitoring with the iGrill with the Android App... :D

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 07:56:16 AM »
You can always cook less in a #3, but you can't cook more in a #2...so, depending on how much meat you plan to smoke at any given time, you might want more capacity than less.  Having said that, I have a #2 and can easily smoke 4 racks of ribs in one session, or two 5# chickens at the same time.   I have done one 7# butt, but could easily accommodate two butts in the #2. 
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Spresso

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 08:25:09 AM »
I like my #3. 
I just smoked 50 ABTs (and the jalapenos were huge) along with a few sweet pepper ones,  along with 2 pork shoulders and 10 pieces of chicken thighs.   There was no problem with air movement due to the roominess....
Chicken went on the lower shelf of course.

regarding the weight,  no problem moving the smoker with the wheels.  if you need to load it, you could use a ramp....or a piece of wood....or have 2 people lift it.
When I picked it up from my mailbox I lifted it by myself into my suv. It was heavy but could be done.

That said , a lot of people are happy with the smaller units but then there are those who wish they got the bigger unit....  Which group would you fall under???
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

Jerz

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 08:52:18 AM »
I'm leaning toward Model 3 now... :D  Hmmm..... I'll just do a little more reading.  I definitely want to try jerky too so I suppose I'll have to get the fan that sits on top too... 

Jerz

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 09:26:56 AM »
The Model 3 it IS!  along with:
Jerky Dryer
Flavor Savor
Cover
Cord Hook
Seafood Rack
Cold Plate

Anything else?  I'm getting itchy fingers...

Jerz

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 09:38:34 AM »
Ordered!  :D

Why isn't it here yet?

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 10:10:21 AM »
Good time to order...I think they are throwing in some freebies this weekend!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 11:36:51 AM »
Jerz, I think you will really enjoy your #3.  I've been able to feed a small army out of mine and it produces exceptionally consistent results and has proven quite versatile.  The Flavor Savor, Cover, and Cord Hook are all excellent add-ons.  I'm probably buying the Jerky Dryer in a few weeks (waiting for the worst of the Texas summer heat to go away) and the cart is something I'm considering.  Regardless, the purchase list you put together will have you smoking like  a champ right out of the gate.

Upon arrival, you'll clean it up (just removing any tiny bits of styrofoam from the nooks and crannies), put in several dowels of sample wood and then running your seasoning session.  After that's done, line it with HD foil and you can do your first smoke the same day.  I always recommend fatties or a pork butt for the first as all that delicious smoked pork fat will help provide a nice seasoning layer to your smoker and are bulletproof enough to cook that you'll get a feel for the temps and cooking times without jeopardizing your final product.

If you have any questions just ask.  Congrats!
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

es1025

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 03:49:29 PM »
Jerz
You made a good decision, if you can its better to go bigger than smaller.  Please make sure you participate often on this forum.  We have a lot of experience smokers on the forum.  try to post picture of everything you smoke.  Welcome aboard.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Jerz

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 05:20:53 PM »
Thanks!  and will take pics for sure..... I'm not a TOTAL noob but don't think my Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker will get much use once my Model 3 gets here :D

It ALREADY shipped too.... woooohooooo... can't wait to get it....  Since I already have some butts foodsaved in the freezer I may start out with some Jerky.... mmmmmmm.... love me some good jerky....

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 11:08:47 PM »
Jerz,

You're going to pop a vessel.  Fire up the Weber (before retiring it), grab a beer and try to relax, just a little!

Enjoy.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Jerz

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 07:15:14 PM »
.. .  I always recommend fatties or a pork butt for the first as all that delicious smoked pork fat will help provide a nice seasoning layer to your smoker and are bulletproof enough to cook that you'll get a feel for the temps and cooking times without jeopardizing your final product.

If you have any questions just ask.  Congrats!

FATTIES?   I have never heard of those but googled and those look delicious.... so... what temp do you smoke those at?   Is there a thread somewhere that I'm not finding?

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 08:56:31 PM »
Heh, and now you see how we all became obsessives about smoking meats, Jerz.  Well, 225-250 is a solid temp depending on what prep you're going for ...

A fatty can be as simple as taking roll of breakfast sausage, slathering it in some sauce or a spice rub, and throwing it in the smoker ... that's the low end of things and is delicious as a biscuit sammich in the morning.  But if you want to experiment a bit, you can stuff sausage with cheese, veggies, bacon, etc. and roll it and then wrap it in bacon; I'm partial to a Bacon Explosion myself and if you want to see the step by step click here:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=90.0

Fatties are quite easy for the novice smoker and can really let you stretch your creative wings.  For example, a leaner sausage like venison really benefits from par cooked bacon in the interior wrapped in a bacon weave.  Bulk Italian sausage prepared this way is amazing as well ... think of the fatty as a sausage meatloaf.

On the temp issue, my best advice is that if you're doing just a plain sausage "football" then hit it at 235-250 and you'll see some decent fat rendered.  If you've got bacon inside and out, go 225 because the bacon fat will render and self-baste the sausage ... it'll need some time to get happy. 

These things smoke very quickly and I typically shoot for an internal temp of 160-165 and then 5-7 minutes under the broiler after a coating of BBQ sauce to caramelize it and crisp up the bacon.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 08:58:24 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 10:17:27 PM »
Welcome aboard, Jerz!  Tom Petty said it best..."the waiting is the hardest part!"  Yep, the WSM won't see much action once the #3 arrives, so take her for a spin tomorrow.  I always recommend a Boston butt for the first smoke; it's very forgiving, and really adds the to the initial seasoning of the smoker.  A long cook gives you a chance to gain confidence in the accuracy and simplicity of these smokers.  You've made a good decision!  Let us know how the first smoke goes, and don't hesitate to chime in with questions or ideas!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!