Author Topic: Need help ASAP  (Read 560 times)

dar2055

Need help ASAP
« on: May 31, 2022, 07:49:44 PM »
Deb from Clifton, VA
    My husband has had a Model 1 for years and used it many times.  Unfortunately, he passed away 8 weeks ago without ever getting the chance to show me how to use it.  The issue now is that we have 2 boys with birthdays this week and next.  My husband always smoked burgers for our youngest and baby back ribs for the oldest.  What do I do?  I read the intro and looked inside the smoker, which still smells really good, but I'm not sure what wood to use for which.  Does the wood need to be soaked?  I did check his supply and I found that he has pecan, mesquite and apple wood chips as well as hickory wood chunks.  Please help because I want to give my boys the birthday dinners that their dad would have.  BTW, I want to do the burgers tomorrow, June 1st!  I know iit's not much notice but things have been rather crazy lately.  Thanks in advance!!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Need help ASAP
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 10:31:42 PM »
Best advice I can give on the burgers would be no more than an hour in the smoker to absorb the smoke and then into a hot skillet or grill to develop the crust.  Of course it depends upon the thickness/weight of the burger. Personally I like the flavor from hickory. I would try 30 minutes then work up.   For the ribs, 225 deg and check them at 4 to 4 1/2 hours and go from there.
No more than 2 oz wood chunk for the burgers; for the ribs 4 to 6, also hickory. So, make one burger early, smoke and fry.  Tastes good, repeat. Needs more smoke, leave in smoker longer. Keep notes.  Wish I could be of more help.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Hank R

Re: Need help ASAP
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2022, 10:42:27 AM »
Never thought of burgers before but want to try.  Are these your own Hamburger patties and do you smoke at 225 or??
Smokin-It #1
Napoleon Prestige gas BBQ with Cast Iron Charcoal/Smoker Tray
 30 year old Big Chief smoker (unused for the last 25)
 Snow blower lover Toro 1128 HD,
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada