Author Topic: Fry that chicken skin  (Read 876 times)

tpcdelisle

Fry that chicken skin
« on: May 18, 2022, 08:07:30 PM »
I’ve been reading a bunch of the older chicken posts and haven’t come across anyone frying the chicken skin that doesn’t get crisp in the smoker.  My wife and I have transitioned over to a mostly Keto lifestyle. Most of the time when fixing chicken recipes that don’t use the skin, I pull the skin off, season with some kind of bbq rub, and cook it in a skillet just like frying bacon.  I never realized how good chicken skin could taste when it is super crispy. What I haven’t tried is pulling the skin off of my smoked chicken and then frying it. Has anyone tried this instead of trying to crisp the skin while on the chicken using a hot grill or in the oven? If so, let me know how you season it.
Tony too!
From Southeast Indiana / Greater Cincinnati

Smokin-It 3D WiFi
Smokin-It 3 Analog
Bella’s Cold Smoke Generator
Recteq B380 Bullseye
Meat Your Maker 1 hp #22 Grinder
Beswood 250R 10” Slicer
Former Air Force
Retired FAA Air Traffic Controller
Anova Sous Vide
Super foodie of world cuisines

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Fry that chicken skin
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 10:42:02 PM »
Cannot help on smoked chicken but to make crispy chicken skin when we bone and skin the rascal for other low fat dishes, we just pop it in the toaster oven.  No added oil. A little salt and pepper. Delicious (but not low fat!)
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

tpcdelisle

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 09:20:58 AM »
Yes David. It’s not low fat, but on Keto, it’s just fine. We don’t have to use any oil, just a dry skillet. There’s plenty of fat in that skin. Now, I’m hungry. 👍
Tony too!
From Southeast Indiana / Greater Cincinnati

Smokin-It 3D WiFi
Smokin-It 3 Analog
Bella’s Cold Smoke Generator
Recteq B380 Bullseye
Meat Your Maker 1 hp #22 Grinder
Beswood 250R 10” Slicer
Former Air Force
Retired FAA Air Traffic Controller
Anova Sous Vide
Super foodie of world cuisines

lcdearman

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 10:25:24 AM »
I recently smoked some chicken thighs, and attempted to crisp the skin on the grill after the smoke. I ended up crisping the skin like a potato chip. It was brittle and pretty much fell off the thighs, and turned out to be VERY good all by itself.

My grandmother used to skin her chicken before frying it, but she would boil the skin, let the water cool, and then add the chicken fat that solidified in with her frying grease. It added that extra bit of flavor that none of the family could match.
Clay from Taylor, TX
SI #2 with Auber AW-ST1510H-W
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker