Author Topic: Bella CSG Flare-up!  (Read 1197 times)

NorthernSmoker

• Expanding my culinary horizons
Bella CSG Flare-up!
« on: April 03, 2022, 06:23:31 PM »
I had an opportunity today to do my first smoke in my 3.5D WiFi on some smoked Kielbasa.  I was using the Bella CSG for smoke generation and ran into some issues.  While there is a noticeable difference in the settings of the adjustable air pump for the CSG I had difficulty regulating the amount of smoke down.  I used a mix of small chips and Traeger cherry pellets and started the CSG with the pump on high for about 10 min.  After that I turned it all the way down for the smoke and programmed the controller to step up the temp as the recipe progressed.  After about 90 min I actually shut the CSG off because I couldn't control the smoke and felt like it was producing way too much.  I pulled the cover off the top and the pellets had practically disintegrated into loose sawdust.  I think this was the cause of the run-away smoke but am not sure.  The top cover of the CSG was vented but perhaps not all the way.  Could humidity have been that high to cause the pellets to fall apart? 
I plugged the CSG in again to try and add a little more smoke but it quickly began producing uncontrollable smoke; so much so, that smoke was coming out of the top of the Bella and when I pulled the cover off to look it it flared up to flame!  After that I removed the bottom of the CSG and dropped the flaming pellet sawdust into a bowl of water.  I'm concerned that had I not been closely watching this that it could have really flared up and caused serious damage.  Any thoughts?  Bella pump problem or are Traeger pellets not as good as I thought they should be?
NorthernSmoker
SI 3.5D WiFi
Bella CSG
Weber Smokey Mtn. 18.5"
Berkel Grinder
F. Dick Sausage Stuffer
Excalibur Dehydrator
Chef Steps Joule Sous Vide
Victorinox RH Forschner Knives

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Bella CSG Flare-up!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2022, 08:02:32 PM »
Just a quick question from a non-CSG user:
If you used the mix that came with the Bella prior to this disaster, did you have any issues?  If not, it may be the Traeger pellets or the cherry chips, or both.

I ask because if you need to get with Steve, he is sure to ask the same question.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

NorthernSmoker

• Expanding my culinary horizons
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2022, 08:56:58 PM »
I did use the mix that came with the CSG and it seemed to work better but I only ran it for a short period of time.  You bring up a good point and I'll go back to that as a benchmark to see if the air flow is 'controllable'.
NorthernSmoker
SI 3.5D WiFi
Bella CSG
Weber Smokey Mtn. 18.5"
Berkel Grinder
F. Dick Sausage Stuffer
Excalibur Dehydrator
Chef Steps Joule Sous Vide
Victorinox RH Forschner Knives

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2022, 09:29:27 PM »
Good luck!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Dave in AZ

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 12:34:29 AM »
Just bought the 3.5wifi and the Bella, haven't unboxed yet.  Saw this thread, read...saw David from Arizona and was all, "wth, did I mistype my name for this place, not paying attention?"  Lol.
Ive got some Traeger pellets too, will report my findings with them soon.
USAF 82-2011
Smokin' It 3.5D wifi, Bella cold smoke gen
Traeger
Weber Summit S-470 propane grill
Meat! 1hp #22 grinder, 15 lb stuffer, 25lb mixer
Meat/cheese aging cave: fridge conversion with Inkbird wifi temp and humidity 2 channel controllers, sonic humidifier, dehumidifier

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 10:49:03 AM »
You had a smoke combustion when you took the lid off and allowed oxygen to enter.  Firefighters are aware of flash combustion when they go into a closed room filled with hot gas and smoke.  That's why they try to vent rooms and roofs before entering a  burning structure.
I used my bella with the pump running as low as possible to see smoke coming out.
Which on my pump is about 1/4 on to keep it burning.
I also suggest you get pellets that say 100% fruitwood on content label, they burn cooler than pellet grill pellets.  As far as I know, Traeger pellets are flavored with oils, and contain very little fruitwood.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

OldeSmoker

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 01:06:18 PM »
I have the Bella and have used it many times, although I have not encountered this problem. Mine does not have the vented lid. It sounds like too much oxygen entered the Bella and caused it to burn rather than smolder. When you try it again it could be helpful to close the vent and see what you get. I also start the air pump on high to get it burning and then turn it down to low speed.
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2022, 07:50:28 PM »
Welcome Dave.
David from Arizona