Author Topic: One year in  (Read 1203 times)

Baja Smoke

One year in
« on: February 06, 2022, 09:42:23 AM »
Hello all, I am one year in from northern Minnesota. I started Baja Smoke food truck last year, and I can say I love my job. I've had a lot of successes, (not getting rich) but  have learned a lot of tweaks to sauces and smoking. My truck serves smoked pork and brisket tacos, ribs, and chicken fajitas. I make 3 types of sauces, mango habanero, lime crema, chipotle, along with my own bbq sauce and an Alabama white sauce.
   I have love the smokin it number 5!! Custtservice is phenomenal, as is this forum.
I am still tweaking my brisket a bit as it seems to get dry occasionally. Also, I am working on pork butt burnt ends and smoked mac and cheese for the upcoming season. I've found smoking meat is a constant learning journey. I'm good at it, but am always learning new ways to be better!!  I smoked burnt ends yesterday, 10 below northern Minnesota.
   Like I said, I'm always learning if anyone has any great ideas for my food truck? Also, I would be willing to share any of my recipes. Btw I've considered bottling some of my sauces but not sure how to go about that . Anyways, thought I would share. Buena vida!

barelfly

Re: One year in
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 09:49:31 AM »
Excellent! Love to hear what you are doing!

For years, I’ve thought about doing something similar to this, a food truck in the Albuquerque/Rio Rancho, New Mexico area. There’s a decent scene for this in the area, especially with the uptick in breweries here. Tacos would also be something I would venture into, even though that would make it very competitive, but I think I have some that would be popular with the crowds!

Not sure if this fits your flavor profile but for burnt ends, Pork Belly Bahn Mi style, really great flavor, but may not be in the profile you are serving. Perhaps a spin off of that.

You have any photos of your truck set up! Would be cool to see that! Keep up with the success and thanks for sharing.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Baja Smoke

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 09:59:25 AM »
I'll try to upload some barelfly. The biggest issue with things is meat prices. Pork and chicken is still pretty good, but brisket is fairly expensive. I would love to do flank steak with my carne asada but at $8 a pound?.....pork is a big hit always though!!

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 10:08:09 AM »
Yep, prices are crazy right now. Have you experimented with pulled chuck roast to see if you can use that in place of brisket? I know it’s not brisket, but you can get it close by cooking to pull temp. I don’t know what chuck roasts are going for these days, but should be cheaper?

All the cuts of beef, seem to be taking off these days. Skirt, flank, flat iron, flap…..names are getting recognized and demand is up…and prices are up regardless!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

Baja Smoke

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2022, 10:10:01 AM »
Here it is....maybe lol

Baja Smoke

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2022, 10:12:22 AM »
Yes, I use that for my carne, sliced thin. About the same as brisket. I'm working on pork shoulder burnt ends right now, still trying to get them more tender.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2022, 11:06:50 AM »
Congrats on the business!  Can we expect to see you on the TV show Food Truck Wars ;D
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Baja Smoke

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2022, 11:15:53 AM »
Lol sarge, no I don't think so. I like to think of my business as "almost retired"

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2022, 03:37:11 PM »
Glad it is all working out for you.  Stay active and healthy!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

barelfly

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 10:35:56 PM »
Excellent! Thanks for sharing the pics. If you were closer, I’d ask to help out here and there! Seems like fun to do this as you want and “almost retired” :)
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q