Author Topic: First Bacon - Wanting to cold smoke and finish hot smoke but have a question  (Read 1044 times)

kcobbva

So I have roughly 11 hours on Saturday that I can claim as mine.   I plan to smoke 10lbs of bacon, cut in two 5lb slabs about 1 1/2" thick.    They'll have cured for 8 days and then rest overnight in the fridge before smoking.

Planning to use apple wood.   The temperature swing will be 35-48 (if the weatherman is right).

If I were to cold smoke for say 7-8 hours with only the Bella running, and then turn on the heat to 175 and finish until 145/150 anyone see an issue with that?  I would assume allowing some cold smoke time might help produce a better bacon since I have that time available but it's my 1st time so I'd be interested in any thoughts.

I see many threads talking about certain ounces of wood, but if I'm cold smoking, I'd assume filling the Bella up and then turning the airflow tube down so it's not pushing too much smoke would be the way to go.   Again, I'm open to suggestions if I'm not thinking straight!  Thanks!
Kevin from Northern VA

Outdoor toys:
Smokin-It 3.5 Pro
Xl Big Green Egg
Traeger 885 Ironwood

kcobbva

Well ultimately the first bacon smoke went well.  A little smokey on the pepper crusted bacon, but black pepper does an awesome job of picking up smoke so not completely unexpected.   The maple came out perfect.   Was definitely worth the effort!  Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas/Holiday.

Kevin from Northern VA

Outdoor toys:
Smokin-It 3.5 Pro
Xl Big Green Egg
Traeger 885 Ironwood

Viking603

That Bacon looks real good!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Kevin - That looks really good.  I am surprised (sorry?) I did not see your posts earlier.  I chalk it up to the Christmas out of town stuff and just not seeing everything when I rely on the iPhone for keeping up on things.  Again your effort on the bacon seems to have paid off.  Congrats!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus