Author Topic: What I've found with my Model 2  (Read 2844 times)

Timinator

What I've found with my Model 2
« on: November 11, 2020, 08:19:33 AM »
I think smoking in an insulated, smaller box like the Model 2 I've found I use a lower heat for most of my smokes.  Instead of 225 I'm normally at about 200 for the entire smoke.  At the lower heat I'm getting fewer hot spots as well as smoke times consistent with other smokers at 225 degrees.    I think it's because it's so well insulated and holds temperature so close to the set temp.   I know my old Pit Boss would vary from 160 degrees to 300 degrees when it was set to 225.  So, so far, I'm loving the Model 2.  I guess my only gripe is I have trouble not setting the other parameters when I only want a temp for an undetermined amount of time.  It's just got so many variables, I get to pushing the wrong sequence of buttons then I'm in no-mans lands with the menus.   

barelfly

Re: What I've found with my Model 2
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 08:59:23 AM »
Interesting observation, Timinator. Thanks for sharing.

Over time, I’ve actually increased cooking temp with my 3D to speed up the long cooks a bit. But, I’ll have to ask my dad what his thoughts are with his #2, if he has seen the same type of things you mention.

As for the digital menu of temp/time, I get what you mean. Sometimes I go a bit to fast thru it and end up going back a few times to check what I set or because I missed it. But I stick with a pretty standard set up for my first three entries that allows for a safe hold if something were to go quicker than expected. I do like the functionality of that!

Enjoy that #2! What have you enjoyed smoking up to this point?
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Timinator

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 11:11:16 AM »
I've done great briskets, although it's a bit too small for a whole brisket.  Having to cut it isn't ideal.  Port bellies are the family favorite, then we cut them up as one of the toppings on our home made pizza's (that start out with Kirkland Cheese Pizza's) that get dressed up with sautéed onions and mushrooms, then pepperoni, black olives and lot's of mozzarella.  The pizzas we do in the oven though, but pork belly topping is just killer.  Pork butts are turning out great too.  I pre-cook and smoke my pork and beef ribs in the smoker but I finish them all individually on the grill because I like my sauce cooked and burnished on all sides of my ribs.  I've been bbq'ing ribs for over 50 years and smoked racks of ribs all the way with a wet sauce at the end is sacrilegious in my book.   I did one of those smoked cheese dips, and it was great except I made it too hot and all the women complained.  The guys loved it though.  It took way longer than it was supposed to though.  Like 3 hours to get all the cheese hot and melted.   

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 01:14:45 PM »
Oh yeah! Smoked queso is wonderful! There are quite a few members here that do smoked whole cheeses as well.

I like your process on the ribs. When I smoke ribs on my Weber Kettle, I do the same. My wife likes the sticky kind of finish, so they get a bit of hot fire. I like simple vinegar sauce as an add on after cooking, so I do them various ways.

With the pork belly, you should try pork belly burnt ends - unless that is what you are doing already with the pizza topping? But, smoke cubed belly pieces for 90 minutes, then add to a foil pan with sauce and let them bath for a few hours covered, then finish for 60 minutes or so uncovered. I think you will like those, but again, maybe you are already making these!

What is the wet sauce you are using on your ribs?
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

Timinator

Re: What I've found with my Model
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 02:56:35 PM »
Yea, pork belly burnt ends is what I'm cooking, or burnt end strips from Costco.  Quick smoke like you said, about 1.5 hours, is just right.  I was smoking them too long in the beginning and they were drying out.  My bbq sauce for the ribs is catsup based and my Dad's recipe from before I was born. There are a few ingredients that give it a unique heat as well as a thick cured burned glaze that I've never seen in anybody else's sauce which is usually brown sugar, or honey, or maple syrup, etc.  All good stuff though. 

Walt

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 11:18:23 AM »
Saw your mention of having to cut your briskets in half.  Not necessary. Bend it or curl it up on the rack. They come out just fine. I haven't found a brisket yet that I can't cook whole in the #2.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Timinator

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 07:53:17 AM »
I didn't know you could do that, I'll try that out.  Thanks for the tip!

lcdearman

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 09:34:10 AM »
This solves the age old question "fat side up or down?" The answer is... neither! Great idea, I will try that too.
Clay from Taylor, TX
SI #2 with Auber AW-ST1510H-W
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker

OldeSmoker

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 12:44:09 PM »
I do the same thing with cuts of meat that are not consistent in thickness. A good example is tenderloin. Whether pork, beef or wild game, it has a thick end and a thin end. I fold the thin end under until it is consistent in thickness with the thick end. Tie it with butchers twine every inch to keep it in place. It works great and the meat comes out with the proper doneness throughout the whole loin. Good luck with your briskets.
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

Timinator

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2020, 02:57:48 PM »
Well, I have ginormous brisket in the #2 rolled up like a volcano and tied with string.  I have two temp probes in there too.  Both probes are within 2 degrees and so far so good.  I wrapped it at 165. It's been 12.5 hours and it's at 184 degrees just plugging along.  I prepped the brisket last night and put it in the smoker before I went to bed.  I set may alarm for 3:15am and went out and turned it on.   I cooked some Costco pork belly burnt end strips too while waiting for the brisket to evolve.  Those will be hors d'oeuvres and pizza topping latter this weekend.

OldeSmoker

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2020, 11:43:18 PM »
Sounds like a great meal.
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi

barelfly

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2020, 12:03:55 AM »
I like the belly burnt ends on pizza idea!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

swede8a

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2020, 02:51:15 PM »
 When you smoke at 200 for ribs, how long do you smoke. will six hours get it.

OldeSmoker

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2020, 05:16:43 PM »
When I smoke spare ribs I generally smoke at 225 for about 6 hours. Baby backs about an hour less. They are tender but not fall apart tender. The ribs have come out great every time. Good luck!
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi