Author Topic: heat element aliment off by 1/2 inch on model 3  (Read 1793 times)

Island Smoke

• mark n. padre island
heat element aliment off by 1/2 inch on model 3
« on: October 16, 2020, 05:06:33 PM »
is there any way to align the heat element on a model 3 It off about 1/2 inch and so is the holder for the wood tray
mark n.padre island, corpus christi tx. si 3 wsd-1200 gph @ 1510 auber, by passed, permanent probe

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: heat element aliment off by 1/2 inch on model 3
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 09:26:31 PM »
I'm guessing that you mean the the element is not centered in the wood holder.  Is that correct?  A photo or two would help. If what I surmised is correct, it should not affect cooking.  My 3D was not picture perfect in that same respect and it works well.  How long have you had the smoker?  And welcome to the forum. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 09:32:40 PM »
If the element is evenly spaced the length of the wood box support, I wouldn't worry about it. If not, keep reading.
My #1 element appeared misaligned about 1/2 in when I got it with the u shaped end off to the left.  I just pushed very gently and slowly until alignment was better. Trick is to go very slow and only as much as needed. Don't bounce it, just a continuous push.
I think they can tolerate a slow bend of about 1 inch based on my electric brewing equipment experience.
I only tried to get the element even in the opening of the wood box support, didn't worry about it being off center.
For the holder, try using a 12 in crescent wrench tightened down so it just fits over the metal. Then put the jaws close to the back of the smoker over the strip (there is a shoulder at the back),  twist to realign. You're putting the torque on crescent to bend the metal in a single spot.  Again, if the support and element are evenly spaced, then I wouldn't worry.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

Island Smoke

• mark n. padre island
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 11:58:15 AM »
Thanks for the info. The smoker cooks great. I think I will take Lonzinomaker's advice and leave it alone. Being technology challenged, I will spend more time trying to send better post with pictures.
mark n.padre island, corpus christi tx. si 3 wsd-1200 gph @ 1510 auber, by passed, permanent probe

OldeSmoker

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 04:48:07 PM »
My 3D was the same way and hasn’t affected a thing.
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

Island Smoke

• mark n. padre island
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 06:45:33 AM »
While I had the back off of the smoker, I remover one of the wires on the heating element and loosened both nuts holding the heat element. I pushed element into smoker. Using "Lonzinomaker's" suggestion and used 2 crescent wrenches and aligned box support. With heater inside smoker I placed washer spacers on rear of element and tighten nuts back down. How every thing lines back up. The hardest part was dealing with the fiberglass.

smokeasaurus

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 01:03:54 PM »
On my number two, the metal track is off a tad (leans a bit to the left.

Have not had any problems with smoke production so I am gonna keep my hands off of it
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top