Author Topic: Output Hi Limit question  (Read 1618 times)

Smokin Jon

Output Hi Limit question
« on: July 21, 2020, 07:53:56 AM »
Have any of you had a problem of controller failure due to controller overheating by leaving the Output Hi Limit percentage at 100% for large cooks?

The manual says, "When the smoker consumes more power than the controller can handle, for example, if you have a 12A, 120V AC heater and your cooker contains more than 38 liter (10 Gallon) of water.  It might take more than 90 minutes of full power heating for controller to heat up the pot.  A long time of full power operation might cause the controller to overheat.  You can set the output to 80%.  It will prevent the controller from overheating by staying a(t) full power too long.

I'm curious why there isn't a preset maximum length of time the element stays at full power to prevent this from happening in the first place vs. having to change a program setting for different size cooks.

So far I've never had my smoker jammed packed with meat to worry about this. 

Just curious.

Thanks,
Jon

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Output Hi Limit question
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 07:25:19 PM »
I have not had any problems at all.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: Output Hi Limit question
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 04:21:08 PM »
The auber/Smokin-It software is a cruel joke.  Why does the app allow you to enter values that would be destructive to your smoker?  For the premium charged for the digital and digital wi-fi controllers one would reasonably expect a much better product.  In my humble opinion, this is a huge black mark on the reputation of Smokin-It for not requiring better from Auber.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...