Author Topic: Smokin It #2 or #2D?  (Read 3818 times)

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: Smokin It #2 or #2D?
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2022, 01:01:56 AM »
>From this posting in the Cookshack forum, it seems to me that wider temperature swings result in longer cook times let’s say for pork butts or briskets.

I had a #2 for a couple years that had a +/- 40 degree swing and I smoked butts and briskets in the same amount of time as everyone else.  I don't think it ever mattered in the slightest.  I have the 3DW now and it's no faster.  There's actually a small part of me that thinks the results (quality, not time) are better _with_ the temperature swings.

What gets people in trouble is opening the door.  Ideally, the door should only be opened twice...  once to put stuff in and once to take stuff out.  Don't wrap.  Don't add water.  Don't add wood.  Just leave it alone and let the smoker do its job.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

lcdearman

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2022, 08:11:49 AM »
I looked back over my logs and see that the cook times in my #2 were about the same before and after I added the Auber, so temp swings didn't seem to make a difference.
Clay from Taylor, TX
SI #2 with Auber AW-ST1510H-W
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker

barelfly

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2022, 10:51:48 AM »
They are great cookers.

I really think you should get one. You won’t regret it. Plenty of people on here that have them and have truly enjoyed the end product. I’ve used both analog and digital - they are both great. My dad’s #2 cooked multiple pork butts in the same time my #3D has done when I used it. Either one, you set the temp and go on about your business.

Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2022, 08:15:03 PM »
Mine is in the open with a SI cover and it’s showing some moisture in the control window.  It’s a small amount but I’ll keep an eye on it.

cantonn11

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2022, 07:43:22 PM »
I started with the #2 (analog) and later got a great deal on a barely used 3DW (digital wi-fi).

The analogs have a stated temperature swing of ~20 degrees and I'm pretty sure mine was higher than that.  The reality is that it never once mattered.  The person who wrote the review was making something out of nothing.  If their brisket came out 'dry', it was much more probable that they took it out long before it was done.  Anyone who smokes brisket based strictly on time is doing it wrong.

As barelfly mentioned, the digitals can be set to a higher temperature which is nice for poultry where there is no need to go 'low and slow'.  Sadly, the software for the digital and digital wifi is really poorly designed and the wifi is outdated and finicky.  I hear things suggesting that's being looked into.

I miss the simplicity of the analog and if I were starting with nothing today, I'd get the #3 (analog).  With the analog you just set it and walk away.  There's no mis-programming it or having a probe get a faulty reading and stopping the smoker prematurely.

While not strictly required, the extra depth of the 3 series is really nice as you don't have to cut ribs or briskets to fit them and it gives you that extra capacity if you like to make mass quantities and seal/freeze portions as I do.

I believe the convenience of digital Smokin It smokers would benefit more frequent users.  For less frequent users, they would be better off saving money with an analog Smokin It smoker.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2022, 10:02:58 PM »
I believe the convenience of digital Smokin It smokers would benefit more frequent users.

What would you define as frequent?
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2022, 12:19:10 AM »
"I believe the convenience of digital Smokin It smokers would benefit more frequent users.  For less frequent users, they would be better off saving money with an analog Smokin It smoker."
So, which model are you going to purchase?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2022, 01:03:10 AM »
I might describe my usage as "infrequently frequent".  :)  I commonly go for a spell with not a lot of use and then I'll smoke mass quantities of many things.  I do a lot of vacuum packing and storage in my deep freeze.  I might only smoke pork butts once a year, but when I do I smoke 6 of them.  I also do special occasions such as turkey for thanksgiving and ham for xmas.

gsurko

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2022, 07:47:29 AM »
For me, I enjoy smoking my meat not just eating it. By that I mean set it and forget it smokers aren’t allot different then buying your meal, load it up and walk away. I enjoy, checking the temps, making adjustments, becoming intimate with your machine, knowing how much change is necessary to get the results you’re looking for. In other words I like doing it myself.
Gary from Michigan

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2022, 11:00:49 AM »
Welcome back Gary.  Been a couple of years.  How's the #2 doing?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus