Author Topic: 2D temperature fluctuations  (Read 4722 times)

Jvalenzia

2D temperature fluctuations
« on: May 07, 2020, 10:44:33 AM »
I have a 2D analog  which I love, however after getting a FireBoard and monitoring the graphing the ambient fluctuates 25 + degrees while smoking. This has now occurred on multiple occasions

Can anyone please provide some insight?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: 2D temperature fluctuations
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 11:44:19 AM »
Your smoker is analog so you can expect the temp to fluctuate.  This is normal for analog smokers.  In the end, the overall temp averages out to your set temp.
https://www.smokin-it.com/v/vspfiles/files/HeatControllerAdjust.pdf
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 12:21:07 PM »
I agree with Old Sarge, it sounds like you have the #2 analog.  The 2D is the digital model, and I have not heard of temp swings with those models.   I have a #2 analog and always get the wide temp swings, +/- 25 or so degrees on the heating cycle.   In the end, the temp tends to average out to the desired temp.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

mike1910

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 06:18:47 PM »
Agree with the others. I’ve got a #3 analog and see similar temp swings. My average temp is usually right about where it should be. I quit even monitoring my box temp. I just set it, relax, grab a beer and trust the unit will so it’s thing.
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

1stlink

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 12:17:27 PM »
I agree with all the above, however if you want to keep fluctuation to a minimum say 1 or 2  degrees you may want to use an Auber PID which besides holding temps as desired it can also be set to stop cooking & go to a preset keep warm temp when your meat reaches the desired IT.
Read much more in the Auber PID section of this forum.

PS, PID or no PID your end results will differ little if any at all. (imo)

Jvalenzia

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 02:18:58 PM »
I have an Aubrey PID which I purchased separately when I bought the smoker, however I have struggled. There have been multiple occasions during mid smoke the unit would error which turn the smoker off. As a result I lost confidence in the unit and have not used. Maybe I should try again.
Does anyone have suggestions for testing/debugging?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 06:02:41 PM »
Not knowing which Auber unit you have, visit the link and select the appropriate model.  Then down load all the instructions for that model. You should be able set it back to the factory PID settings.  If not, you can certainly do an auto tune. I recommend you write down the current PID values on your unit.  I am inclosing some links that may help you and many more available by searching Auber auto tune:

https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4275.msg38584#msg38584
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1869.0

You will notice that some of the simulated meat loads use bricks (to absorb heat). A pan or 2 of damp sand will work. as well and will also simulate moisture much as meat does.  Good luck!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Timinator

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 09:54:07 AM »
I haven't even received my PID #2 yet, but let me tell you about temperature swings.... My Pit Boss Vertical smoker when set to 225 degrees would swing from 165 to 315 degrees!  I don't care what the "average" of that is/was, that's not what I signed up for.  After two weeks, I returned it.    Give me; electricity, gas, or off-set wood/charcoal.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 03:52:26 PM »
I have a 2D analog  which I love, however after getting a FireBoard and monitoring the graphing the ambient fluctuates 25 + degrees while smoking. This has now occurred on multiple occasions

I'm slightly confused on which smoker you have...  the #2 is the analog and the 2D is the digital without WiFi.  I owned a #2 for a couple of years and I had a +/- 40 deg temperature swing.  Never once mattered and I quit bothering with monitoring it.  You swing of +/- 25 is perfectly normal and nothing to care about.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

UpNSmoke

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2020, 05:37:27 PM »
I too have a 2A. Newbie here. I did a brisket this weekend, set it to 225, and when I returned to check on things, my wireless thermometer that I trust, registered 311 degrees. Yikes! I dropped the temp, then watched as the temp fluctuated throughout the day. Always hotter than the analog dial was set. What up with that?
Lee - currently in WI, future Texan.
I like to reminisce with people I don't know.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 07:26:13 AM »
A jump in temp to 311F suggests to me that your wood caught on fire in the beginning of the smoke.   I always watch the first heating cycle (on until off) to see if the wood catches on fire, which you can tell if you hear the "belch" and a big smoke exhaust.   I have experienced the "belch" (usually around 180-200F in the first heating cycle) and the temp will jump quickly to over 300F.   As an aside, fire in the smoke box typically happens only on the first heating cycle. 

I have a #2A and did a couple racks of BB ribs yesterday.  I set the temp to around 230F, and saw temp swings from 215 to 260 throughout the 6 hour smoke.    The wood did not catch fire and the temps pretty much stayed in this range all afternoon.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

cantonn11

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2022, 09:11:24 PM »
Does a partially loaded smoker have higher temperature swings than a fully loaded smoker? 

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2022, 09:23:56 PM »
I cannot recall any posts where someone remarked that the swings were more or less influenced by the load.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

arkhomer

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2022, 02:00:10 PM »
A jump in temp to 311F suggests to me that your wood caught on fire in the beginning of the smoke.   I always watch the first heating cycle (on until off) to see if the wood catches on fire, which you can tell if you hear the "belch" and a big smoke exhaust.   I have experienced the "belch" (usually around 180-200F in the first heating cycle) and the temp will jump quickly to over 300F.   As an aside, fire in the smoke box typically happens only on the first heating cycle. 

I have a #2A and did a couple racks of BB ribs yesterday.  I set the temp to around 230F, and saw temp swings from 215 to 260 throughout the 6 hour smoke.    The wood did not catch fire and the temps pretty much stayed in this range all afternoon.

Mine got to 318 and the unit was still heating. I'm guessing wood caught. How do you combat that?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2022, 04:16:51 PM »
Do a search for foil boats. Some use them to to fight combustion. I have never had to.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus