Author Topic: Chorizo Verde  (Read 2646 times)

PhilH

Chorizo Verde
« on: February 25, 2020, 05:22:17 PM »
Really wanted to try out my new 11lb Hakka Stuffer, so I made some chorizo verde.

This is a link to the original recipe, I changed it a little.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Chorizo-Chili%20Verde-Mild.pdf

Chorizo Verde

Meat Block                           5 lbs               
Ground Pork                         3 lbs
Ground Beef                         2 lbs

Pork Fat                                  50 g
Tomatillo, chopped                 350 g
Poblano, roasted, diced          320 g
Onion, chopped                     130 g
Garlic, minced                         15 g
Salt                                        40 g
Cumin, toasted, cracked            7 g
Cilantro, chopped                    50 g
Pasilla, toasted, crushed         1 ea

1. Fire roast and peel the poblano, dice
2. Dice the tomatillo and onion about the same size as the chili.
3. Mince the garlic.
4. Add the chili, tomatillo, onion, garlic
and cumin seeds to a little lard (manteca) and wilt the vegetables; allow them to cool thoroughly.
5. Add the salt to the ground pork and mix it in thoroughly.
6. Add the cooled chili verde mixture along with the chopped cilantro and mix into the meat.
7. Stuff into 32mm hog casings and refrigerate 24 hrs

The entire preparation for 5 lbs of sausage, took several hours, this was not a easy recipe.

The stuffer works great, I’m pretty sure Hakka is the exact same stuffer as Walton’s Inc, I got it from amazon for $150, with free shipping.  Unfortunately, there is now an amazon warehouse in MN, so I had to pay sales taxes.  I think anything I buy from Walton’s is sales tax free.

I used poblanos, instead of pasilla peppers, because a Pasilla pepper is actually a dried version of the Chilaca pepper, which are hard to find, and that is what the writer of the recipe meant to use.  Just for fun I put 1 real dried Pasilla pepper in. 

My thoughts, I would like it more spicy, and more green.  Will use green onion, instead of white, and will add dried minced jalapeños, and possibly more cilantro.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 05:27:39 PM by PhilH »
Phillip   Ramsey MN

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Chorizo Verde
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 08:31:52 PM »
The Chorizo looks awesome!

And I am very happy to hear that the Hakka stuffer worked out. I was pretty much expecting that it would. If I ever want to move up to a bigger stuffer than my 11 pounder, I might have to try the Hakka, because the Walton's 26 pound stuffer is pretty spending compared to the Hakka version.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

PhilH

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 09:10:22 AM »
Yes the stuffer is great.  A long time ago, I owned a LEM stuffer and grinder and wasn’t that impressed with either, so I sold them for prob less than half what I paid.  About 5 years went buy, and I decided to try it again, but with the kitchen aid mixer, really want to make sure I like doing it before investing.  My next purchase will be a grinder, but I want a really good one, enough to grind chicken bones for dog food, so I will wait a while yet.

Probably gonna do some snack sticks with the dill pickle seasoning  next. 

Another great site to look  for stuff

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/
Phillip   Ramsey MN

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 08:02:15 PM »
I have a #12 LEM Grinder that I have probably had for 10+ years and has literally ground several thousand pounds of meat and other than sharpening a few blades and bought one new blade, it is still going strong.

The new Big Bite technology that they have looks really good.

That being said, I have heard really good things about the Cabelas grinders, but have no direct experience with them.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

PhilH

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 08:50:07 PM »
Finally grilled some up.  Very good.  Would like it to be more spicy, and have more green for color, salt is perfect.
Phillip   Ramsey MN

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 09:56:38 PM »
Sausages look great.
I have the same stuffer with a different name on it. Watch out for the sharp edges on the metal. Cut myself several times before I took some grinding discs to them to dull them.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

barelfly

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 11:32:10 PM »
That looks like great chorizo!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Norwester

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 02:21:55 AM »
That looks good!
Jeff from central Oregon

Schwayne

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 10:55:42 AM »
Hi Phil,

I've been making Chorizo Verde for years, just made a batch last week. Amazing sausage.

You mentioned kicking up the heat. I would recommend using 3-4 Serrano peppers per 10lb batch. Similar flavor as Jalapeno, but definitely hotter. Up to 25,000 scoville units. I actually like to roast them with the Pablanos.

I've yet to figure out how to get them to look as bright green as the pictures from Toluca Mexico. Maybe a lot more cilantro?

Wayne