Author Topic: Beef jerky for dogs.  (Read 3253 times)

markmax

Beef jerky for dogs.
« on: September 01, 2019, 11:08:04 AM »
Does anybody have a good recipe for making beef jerky for the 4 legged fans.

Lonzinomaker

Re: Beef jerky for dogs.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 04:19:09 PM »
I think you can use anything you want except onion and garlic.
From PetMD (https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/toxicity/are-onions-and-garlic-bad-your-dog): "Any member of the Allium family—onions, garlic, leeks, and chives are the most common reported to cause toxicity—contains N-propyl disulfide,” says Dr. Ann Hohenhaus, staff doctor at NYC's Animal Medical Center. “This compound damages the oxygen-carrying substance found in red blood cells called hemoglobin.”
This kind of damage can cause red cells to rupture and be cleared from circulation faster than normal. This condition, hemolysis, results in anemia and red or brown urine. “In severe cases, the anemia may lead to internal organ damage, organ failure, or even death,” says Konecny. If your pet has eaten any garlic or onions he or she may also experience gastrointestinal irritation.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

prudentsmoker

Re: Beef jerky for dogs.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 09:59:30 AM »
I don't do beef for the dogs, but I will take slightly frozen chicken breasts and run them through the meat slicer and use a dehydrator. Not only do the dogs love it, but the cat does too! On a side note- I have read to beware of chicken jerky from China as they think it has caused several dogs deaths.
Brian from Wichita