Author Topic: #3 Cart  (Read 2561 times)

tomd8

#3 Cart
« on: June 28, 2019, 05:44:35 PM »
Been wanting to raise my #3 from original height.  I recently saw a member’s post saying his back can’t take it anymore and that hit home on my last few smokes.  I’ve been thinking about building a cart but I’m not as skilled as many of the cabinet builders here and quite frankly don’t really have the time.  So I happened to see a 10% discount offered by SI and I jumped on a cart.  I received it a few days ago and spent some time today putting it together.  Overall the cart seems sturdy and was fairly straight forward to construct.  I was concerned that the finished height wasn’t high enough but at 48” it seems pretty good. 
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: #3 Cart
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 07:58:23 PM »
Looks right at home.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

mike1910

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 10:08:38 PM »
Looks good! Need to get myself a cart here one of these days.
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

TexasSMK

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 09:00:04 AM »
Nice, couldn't imagine operating my #2 with out something to raise it off the ground.  Enjoy
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

barelfly

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 10:38:57 AM »
I’d love to elevate my 3D. I’ve looked at these carts, but wondered if they would become top heavy.

How is working for you? I move mine to smoke from where it stays when not in use, although it’s only 10’ away. If I had all concrete patio it wouldn’t be an issue but my patio is flagstone, so some uneven edges that aren’t hard to roll over at normal height.

Thanks for the photo.  Any plans to modify and add pull out pans for when you open and remove the grates with food, or anything like that?
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

tomd8

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 03:48:50 PM »
Thank you for all of the responses.

Barelfly - I would think pulling not pushing the cart would work best over uneven ground as I experienced when I assembled it outside in the shade of a maple tree and moved it over grass.  I was thinking about a front tray that either pulls out or is inserted and removable.  I'll need time to think on this.  I'll be using the smoker on the 4th of July and see how much better this height works.
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 09:04:38 PM »
I’d love to elevate my 3D. I’ve looked at these carts, but wondered if they would become top heavy.

How is working for you? I move mine to smoke from where it stays when not in use, although it’s only 10’ away. If I had all concrete patio it wouldn’t be an issue but my patio is flagstone, so some uneven edges that aren’t hard to roll over at normal height.

I have the same stand and what sounds like the same type of patio as you.  It's a little bumpy, but I just move it slowly and intentionally.  I've never felt that I was at risk of it getting away from me and/or tipping.  I do recommend pulling vs. pushing when moving a distance.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...