Author Topic: Beginner Brine Question  (Read 4252 times)

Nikk

• Model #1
Beginner Brine Question
« on: April 24, 2019, 02:54:09 PM »
I'd like to make my 3rd cook in my smoker be a Boston Butt, and I want to go all-in with a Brine and Injection.  Starting with the Brine, how important is it to have a sealed container?  I have a large food container (12 qts) but I don't have a lid.  Is it an issue to just use this container and cover it with cling wrap?  I'm planning to follow the basics in the Brine section specifically for this pork butt before this weekend. 

Thanks for your help!

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: Beginner Brine Question
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 03:13:27 PM »
I don't see any reason that wouldn't work...  you just want to keep debris and odors out.  That said, I never brine butts as it's not at all necessary, in my  experience and humble opinion.  I always brine turkeys and briskets, though.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 09:13:15 PM »
An open container will work, but weight the butt with a clean plate to keep it submerged.

Personally I would not brine a butt. I do nearly always brine poultry. However if it interests you go for it.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Nikk

• Model #1
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 12:14:04 PM »
From everything I've read, brining a butt is definitely not needed. But when I'm following along with the LazyQ book from smokin-it, it sounds like the author will never not brine his pork butts again.  I'm still super new to the entire idea of smoking so I guess it won't hurt to try it out and see if I like it or not. 

I like the plate idea you mentioned - thanks for your input on this!

es1025

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 12:25:36 PM »
No brining for pork butt. Just salt overnight and then add your rub. Fold at 160 and remove at 190-195. Let rest for two hours. I smoke pork butt at 265.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Pink

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 11:42:15 PM »
I always brine my butts, I think it gets more flavor all the way through.
Derek from S GA

MudFarm

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 07:40:56 AM »
I always brine my butts, I think it gets more flavor all the way through.

I probably brine 50% of the butts I cook. If not for a busy schedule I would almost always brine them. I feel like there is a benefit and they seem to cook more consistent. Sometimes when I don't brine they seem to go over the general 2 hours per pound, haven't had that happen with a brined one yet. I need to take better cook notes to really prove or disprove my theory though.
Justin from Wisconsin
#3D