Author Topic: WiFi Thoughts...  (Read 2464 times)

LarryD

• 3DW
WiFi Thoughts...
« on: April 01, 2019, 02:26:56 PM »
I just fired up my 3D-Wifi yesterday and made a bunch of beef jerky.  I'm assuming that Auber actually makes the phone app and just adds Smokin-It's branding to it.  My impression is that the app is bad enough that it really takes away from the overall quality and impression of Smokin-It products.  Had I not owned a #2 and loved it for the past couple years, and had some advance knowledge of app limitations, and/or paid full price for my 3DW I would have been rather seriously disappointed.

For what it's worth, I've been a professional computer geek for over 30 years.  If there is ever an effort to redesign and update the app, I'd love to get involved from beginning to end.  This app should be easy to use and knock the socks off of people instead of being lackluster.

In no particular order, here are some quick design issues and opportunities:

• The app should not allow you to enter a temperature of 999.  These smokers are never supposed to be run over 325, so it should probably not allow a temp to be entered greater than ~310.
  • The program should not start immediately... there should be a start button.
  • There should be real alarms that you can set along with selectable alarm tones for each.
  • Both of the external probes should be fully supported and not have one of them be just an afterthought.
  • The 'Cooking Profile' should be something that can be named, saved, loaded so that users can build a library of recipes.
  • Adding more than one phone is a problematic process.  This is a technical issue that needs to be resolved.
  • GUI needs to be completely redesigned.  There is space wasted (don't need to see a picture of a turkey).  Very few things are clickable, where most should be and take you to something appropriate.  Data export shouldn't be buried.  The 'Manual' link doesn't take one to the manual.
  • The manual/documentation is terse and insufficient.  It needs to be rewritten to be both more comprehensive and more accessible.

This is, by no means, an exhaustive list...  I'll probably come back and add some more thoughts.  I hope others with the WiFi will also participate in this thread to get a pretty comprehensive list going.

------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: WiFi Thoughts...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 11:37:56 PM »
I am sure Steve and Ben would be interested in any advice you can give them.  I know they are wide open for constructive ideas.

David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Lipster

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 09:44:28 AM »
If you are smoking with that smoker, you should wear this.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 11:54:36 AM »
I am sure Steve and Ben would be interested in any advice you can give them.  I know they are wide open for constructive ideas.

My contact info from where I purchased my #2 from them is still accurate, so they're totally invited to reach out to me.  I do fear that it's Auber who controls the app though, so they may very little influence over it's design.  However, they do control the manual, so that part can certainly be updated.
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 11:54:49 AM »
If you are smoking with that smoker, you should wear this.

Cute... I like it.