Author Topic: External Smoke Generator - What's your thoughts  (Read 45793 times)

Li-T

Re: External Smoke Generator - What's your thoughts
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2020, 05:05:48 AM »
Let me know when Bella comes to you. I'm choosing my first smoker now. Can you recommend any of them?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2020, 01:30:57 AM »
I don't do any cold smoking.  Not yet, anyway.  But if I were to have to choose either the Bella or the Smoke Daddy, it would be the Bella hands down.  The video comparison of the two units definitely shows the Bella as the better of the two.

While I have steered clear of pellet grills for my own use, they are popular.  I checked out a couple before getting my first electric smoker.  They seemed problematic back then so I went electric. Of the units you have listed, they all have a strong following.  But if I had to decide, it would be the Fast Eddy.  All stainless steel. Having said that, I would still go with a smoker from SI over a pellet grill.  These smokers are simple and reliable and versatile. And that is what I prefer.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Reeg

« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2020, 08:55:39 AM »
I purchased the Bella's CSG with my new #2DW and last weekend used it for the first time to cold smoke a rack of various cheeses and Himalayan salt. I only filled the CSG about halfway with pellets thinking that I only wanted to go 2 hours with the cheese. Once fired up I was getting a lot of smoke, so I set the pump to about 25-30%. Things were going fine until about 1.75 hours in when I checked on it and there was little to no smoke coming out. I checked on the pellets and they were just about gone, but a clump of semi-burned pellets on one side appeared to be a bit wet. I also noticed some creosote-like liquid dribbling down the outside of the CSG. I moved the ash and wet pellets to one side as best I could, added more pellets and got to the two hour mark.

So next time I will keep the pump at 50% as recommended in the BK vs Bella CSG youtube video, and see if I get a cleaner, dryer burn. I assume that it was my mistake in letting it smolder at the lower pump setting?

BTW, the other mistake I made was in putting the salt below the cheese. I assumed that at 65 degrees high temperature in the smoker, that the cheese wouldn't sweat, but it did and at the end the salt was a bit wet. But who knows? Maybe having cheese fat-infused smoked salt will be even better? Haven't tried it yet but will let you know. The cheese has been in the fridge for a week, will try some next weekend.

BTW BTW, you may notice the skewer at the bottom of the CSG on the door photo... I found it a bit fiddly to screw the bottom plate back on the unit so I found that a meat skewer could easily be inserted through both holes of the bottom plate. If I ever need to add more pellets during a smoke, I can hold the bottom plate with one (gloved) hand, pull the skewer with the other drop the ash, replace the plate and skewer, load more pellets and refire. Should be that easy.
Paul from SW New Hampshire
SI #2DW + Bella's CSG

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2020, 10:56:21 AM »
Looks like you went all in with you smoker purchase. Enjoy the fruits of your labors!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Reeg

« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2020, 08:16:27 AM »
Looks like you went all in with you smoker purchase.

I did, but even with all the bells 'n whistles, it still amounted to less than the Kamado Joe grill that I almost bought last year. And no need to baby sit the cook, no ash cleanout... you know the rest.
Paul from SW New Hampshire
SI #2DW + Bella's CSG

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2020, 02:16:44 PM »
I think you made the right choice.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

barelfly

« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2020, 10:40:43 AM »
I’ve been reading into the Bella more the last few days and love what it provides for cold smoking - and may just get it for that. But I’m curious to see if anyone is using it as a supplement smoke for hot smoking and what this adds to smoke profile of the end product.

Anyone have any comments/feedback on this? Perhaps I’d do some cold smoking but if this adds to the smoke profile, that will seal the deal for me.

Thanks!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

smokehead

• Self proclaimed Dead head, smoke head and hop head
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2021, 08:37:38 AM »
We have the Bella (and the #3.5D) and absolutely LOVE IT! We are now able to cold smoke 16lbs of lox at one time. We cold smoke raw chicken breast/thighs, chuck roast (for stew meat) and meat bones. We then throw them in the freezer and then use them in the crockpot, or other recipes later. The meat bones make the most awesome smoked soup you can ever imagine! All cold smoking we do is once temps are no higher than 40 degrees outside. (So we were just able to get back to cold smoking recently). Next up is cheese and nuts...

Cold Smoking while letting meat rest
I have also found it VERY useful to cold smoke the meat as I am letting it rest out of the fridge before smoking. (You let your meat rest on the counter for an hour, right? Why not put it in a smokey heaven to wake up in...) That goes for anything. We do pork butt, beans and mac-n-cheese at the same time, so we let everything rest in the cold smoker. So I set my timer for no heat for 1-2 hrs (and then kickoff the heat from there).

Fuel:
After many experiments, I have to say that wood shavings are the best way to go. There is still some moisture, but not like pellets, or the pellet/chip mix. I really like either straight Alder (or mixing in some Apple really gives it a nice profile). Here is my go to:
Camerons Products Smoking Chips ~ (Alder) - 2 Pound Bag, 260 cu. in. - Kiln Dried, Natural Extra Fine Wood Smoker Sawdust Shavings -Barbecue Chips
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q5B3VL3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Keep on smokin!
G&A
Cheers,
George

1st smoker, pellet tube cold smoker
2nd smoker, Smokin-It #3.5D with Bella Cold Smoker

Self proclaimed Dead head, Hop Head and Smoke Head!