Author Topic: Pickled Eggs Sweet and Spicy  (Read 7418 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Pickled Eggs Sweet and Spicy
« on: January 07, 2018, 04:37:01 PM »
Last month I bought a gallon gar of Famous Dave's Signature Spicy Sweet and Hot Pickles. Found them at Costco for less than $6.00 and they are the best. They are sweet and have just a touch of heat. Heck I am using them instead of pickle relish and they are excellent for grilled cheese sandwiches.
The juice is also excellent and really good for you, I have been using pickle juice for brisket, but thought hey what about using it for pickled eggs.

Any way I saw a few recipes on internet that used pickle juice to pickle eggs and thought, wow how about sweet and spicy pickled eggs....

Note the picture only shows 9 eggs, I had to boil a few more.

Here is the recipe:
1 Liter Jar (32 oz size)
12 medium - large eggs (boiled and peeled)
2 cups of Famous Dave's pickle juice

Directions:
Add eggs to jar, add juice, put in the refrigerator and wait a week for the first test!

*Note when you first put the eggs in the brine they will float. But after two days, as they start to take on the brine they submerged completely.

Best Greg
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 03:09:22 PM by gregbooras »

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Pickled Eggs Sweet and Spicy
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 04:52:02 PM »
Ok, now I am intrigued. I haven't had pickled eggs in ages.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 03:07:58 PM »
Bob,
Yep it has been a long time, used to get them in bars up north. I never really cared for them, to sour, at least the ones I tried. With the sweet and the heat of this pickle juice, I am looking forward to giving them a try.
Best Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 05:25:19 PM »
Now if I could only peel a perfect HB egg!!!  Lol!  My test batch is only 6 eggs in case no one likes them. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

JustChillin

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 05:43:17 PM »
Dave, here is a good article regarding the best method for boiling eggs by Thermoworks. I tried steaming them a few months ago and they peeled really easy. http://blog.thermoworks.com/2017/03/easter-hard-boiled-eggs/
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 06:37:53 PM »
I'll be sure to give that a try on the next batch.  Thanks!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 08:28:21 PM »
The search for the perfect boiled egg......
In our house hold we like to keep it simple.
Place eggs in a pan with cold water with at least 1" extra water.
Bring to a boil cover, turn off the heat and let sit on the burner, electric/gas for 15 minutes.
Place in an ice bath and allow to cool (20 minutes or so).
Next crack the top and the bottom of the egg and lightly roll the egg on a hard surface.
Place back into the ice bath and allow it to sit for a few minutes, then peal.

Best Greg
Here is what we do and it works pretty well

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 09:42:45 AM »
Oh, we're supposed to take the shell off before we pickle them???  ;D  ;D  ;D
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 10:28:31 AM »
You guys know that the next evolution of this is going to involve cold smoking the eggs first, right?

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 02:24:25 PM »
Well it has been four days since I put the eggs in the brine. When I first put the eggs in the brine they floated for the first two days and then settled in the jar. I figured after four days it was time for a taste test!

The results were even better than I expected. The eggs had taken on the sweet/heat pickle juice and they tasted great. Not to sweet and not to much heat (in fact a bit more heat would work for me). No salt needed for these eggs, just good to eat.

These would be great at Easter (notice how the egg picked up the color of the pickle juice). If you wanted another color you could add some beet juice :)

Give them a try and let me know, I will be making these again, once I polish this batch off.
Best Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 02:25:33 PM »
You guys know that the next evolution of this is going to involve cold smoking the eggs first, right?
A bit of smoke would be good!
Best Greg

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 03:03:29 AM »
I also use leftover pickle juice for eggs. It's already seasoned. I often add beet juice too. Sometimes some sugar. A couple tips for hard-boiled eggs. To prevent eggs from cracking, using a push-pin (like you use in a bulletin board), put a small hole in the wide end of the egg (where the air pocket is). This eases the pressure buildup. Learned that from Julia Child. For hard to peel eggs, put the egg plus 1 or 2 tablespoons of water into a jelly jar, or some other small container with a lid. Shake shake shake hard enough to thoroughly crack the shell all over, but not so hard that the egg breaks apart (you will hear when the shell is done cracking). This helps get the water under the membrane. It should peel much easier.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 02:13:00 PM »
I also use leftover pickle juice for eggs. It's already seasoned. I often add beet juice too. Sometimes some sugar. A couple tips for hard-boiled eggs. To prevent eggs from cracking, using a push-pin (like you use in a bulletin board), put a small hole in the wide end of the egg (where the air pocket is). This eases the pressure buildup. Learned that from Julia Child. For hard to peel eggs, put the egg plus 1 or 2 tablespoons of water into a jelly jar, or some other small container with a lid. Shake shake shake hard enough to thoroughly crack the shell all over, but not so hard that the egg breaks apart (you will hear when the shell is done cracking). This helps get the water under the membrane. It should peel much easier.

Kari,
Thanks I will have to give the push pin a try, looks like the easiest way is to do this is in the carton.
Best Greg

JustChillin

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 09:08:44 AM »
Greg, I couldn't resist trying your pickled eggs. I just finished boiling the eggs and put them in some leftover Famous Dave's Devils Spit pickle juice. Can't wait to try them. Kari, I forgot to try the push pin but I did use a steamer basket for 15 minute steam. They peeled really easy. Thanks guys for the ideas.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

tvrtrixie1

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 01:11:36 PM »
ive been wondering how/what type of pickle juice to use, I like to pop a dozen eggs in at the start of a slow smoke 230ish and then get them out after 2 hours works very well, nice smokey flavor not normally any left to pickle but might put a extra doz and pickle them.
 :)