Author Topic: Just ordered my 5D  (Read 5420 times)

TheLoga

• Bark and Bite
Just ordered my 5D
« on: November 27, 2017, 08:03:22 PM »
Go big or go home I guess. There's not great BBQ in my area (Los Angeles) and I miss it. Newb to electric smoking, but after doing a ton of research and considering the space restrictions I have, I just ordered my 5D and plan to start a little BBQ biz on the side. I've been smoking on a Louisiana Grills Champion for a while, and before that a Traeger. I just wanted to say hi and thanks for the great info on here. Looking forward to contributing my experiences and learning from you all.
SI 5D and Louisiana Champion

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Just ordered my 5D
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 08:41:20 PM »
Welcome!  All the SI's are the same but different.  Lol.  The volume of your 5D will make a lot of the rules that the others with smaller units follow not applicable.  For example, with my model 4, I'm safe using interior drip pans where others cannot due to air flow interruption.  One of the design flaws (IMO) on the smoke box is the number and size of holes in the bottom.  There is simply too much oxygen for the strength of our heating elements.  Experiment but consider covering some holes with foil is you feel like you are getting combustion.  I use a chip screen and some foil in mine.  Enjoy the new toy! 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Walt

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 08:48:01 PM »
That's a myth Dave. Drip pans work fine in the #2. It has to be a reasonable size relative to any smoker. I use them all the time.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

TX Gent

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 08:50:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum and keep us tuned in with your progress TheLoga

All the best
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 09:39:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum from SE Arizona.  Congrats on the 5D.  Enjoy! And be sure to let us know how it works out for you.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

TheLoga

• Bark and Bite
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 10:43:22 PM »
Welcome!  All the SI's are the same but different.  Lol.  The volume of your 5D will make a lot of the rules that the others with smaller units follow not applicable.  For example, with my model 4, I'm safe using interior drip pans where others cannot due to air flow interruption.  One of the design flaws (IMO) on the smoke box is the number and size of holes in the bottom.  There is simply too much oxygen for the strength of our heating elements.  Experiment but consider covering some holes with foil is you feel like you are getting combustion.  I use a chip screen and some foil in mine.  Enjoy the new toy!

Thanks SuperDave, that's really good info to know. How are you liking the 4? Newbie question if you don't mind...So if there's too much oxygen for the heating element, what will the effect be on the smoker? Poor combustion, lack of smoke, temp fluctuations? How many holes do you typically cover? Thanks for the insights!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 11:19:46 PM »
The model 4 was the previous beast of the family until the 5 was recently released. There really isn’t anything that it hasn’t been able to do.

Unlike other smokers, the SI’s don’t like fire in the smoke box. Too much oxygen can create wood combustion. That eliminates a lot of smoke and can possibly create bitterness. I cover about 1/2 my holes on the back 1/2 and place my wood on the covered portion.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

TheLoga

• Bark and Bite
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 03:52:27 PM »
Good to know, thanks SuperDave!

drains

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 08:37:25 PM »
Welcome from Texas! Looking forward to reading about your experiences with the 5D.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

TheLoga

• Bark and Bite
Re: UPDATE Just ordered my 5D
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 08:27:41 PM »
She got in yesterday and I spent a couple hours setting it up today. I got lost on the initial Auber set up and called Steve, and he was super helpful. The thing is a BEAST. I seasoned it up with the hickory wood and I'm planning to do my first cook tomorrow. Brisket. Attached is a picture of it set up in my makeshift "yard" next to my LG Champion pellet pooper.

TX Gent

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 07:14:43 AM »
Howdy TheLoga and welcome to the forum

Do post your smoking endeavors and results including what works and doesn't for you.

John
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 08:22:54 AM »
Congrats and welcome to the family!  What are you hoping to make commercially?
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 01:04:29 PM »
Looks good. Going to have to get Steve and Ben to add a 5D section. Thanks
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

TheLoga

• Bark and Bite
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 11:59:28 PM »
Standard Central Texas style Q. I dug into Aaron Franklin's Meat Smoking Manifesto, and I've been using that to formulate recipes and ideas.

Congrats and welcome to the family!  What are you hoping to make commercially?

TheLoga

• Bark and Bite
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 12:04:25 AM »
Howdy TheLoga and welcome to the forum

Do post your smoking endeavors and results including what works and doesn't for you.

John

I'll do my best!