Author Topic: Seasoning the 3D  (Read 3202 times)

Bonanza

• Jeff in WKY
Seasoning the 3D
« on: June 16, 2017, 04:27:00 PM »
Noticed recommended to use the included hickory dowels in the woodbox to identify the hot spots.  I didn't have any in my shipment. 
What about a single layer of hickory pellets for the same purpose?  I have the chip insert also.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
SI-3D,PrimoOvalXL,Weber22'Charcoal, Occasional FirePit

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Seasoning the 3D
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 04:53:17 PM »
Don't worry about hot spots or using the chips now. The Seasoning is a long hot smoke, use the dowels, crank the heat full blast and let it run for four hours.

Keep it simple.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

drains

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 07:05:25 PM »
Just for clarification, you didn't receive any wood in your shipment? If not Steve needs to know and he will make up for it. The seasoning is very important as it burns off any oils or debris left over from the manufacturing process.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 11:20:50 PM »
You can use your own wood chunks for the seasoning process. Use 3 chunks, around 2 ounces each. I would not use chips or pellets for seasoning if you don't have to.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 03:29:59 PM »
Seasoning takes many, many smokes to really accomplish.  The first "seasoning" with an empty smoker is really an oil burn off and the start of coating your smoker with smoke resin.  Other than burning off that oil, I wouldn't worry too much about the wood source for the first exercise as long as there is something in there that produces smoke. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah