Author Topic: Smoked Cajun Catfish  (Read 3221 times)

40 caliber

Smoked Cajun Catfish
« on: March 30, 2016, 08:46:22 PM »
HI guys, been lurking for a while. thought I would start to contribute. I tried some catfish fillets from Market basket. ( a local grocery store in the Northeast. I bought one pound of farm raised fillets as that is all that is available up here.

I followed the attached You tube video. when I watched it, I chuckled as it looked like the chef found it a little hot. My wife and I cut his  rub from one table spoon of cayenne pepper to half tablespoon. I must say it was good but  still quite hot. (I am not a wimp, I love hot food). I would suggest using only a teaspoon if you try this. It was still good but  masked some of the other seasonings that were available. It was cooking in my #2 for just under an hour at 250.
I got to 145 and we pulled it but were weren't sure so we put it back in until 150. it was juicy delicious and worth making.  even if I couldn't change the rub (which I obviously can!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MhcTz7hPIE

Pictures below and definitely a recipe worth trying for those that like a little zing with their catfish....we love catfish and this just added to the fun.
see the before and after pics below, Yum!!!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 08:48:21 PM by 40 caliber »
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Smoked Cajun Catfish
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 08:56:30 PM »
I might have to try that some time. I just caught this little guy on Monday.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

40 caliber

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 09:02:58 PM »
I wish we had them like that here!
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 09:31:24 PM »
That was just a baby. This is a catfish.  :D

« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 09:48:56 PM by NDKoze »
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 09:46:32 PM »
I remember the ones PJ posted....those are both babies! ;)   PJ?  Where ya' at??
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!