Author Topic: Sometimes You Just Have To Smoke Salmon  (Read 4048 times)

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Sometimes You Just Have To Smoke Salmon
« on: January 24, 2016, 07:18:52 PM »
So I did.  :) 1:4 ratio of salt to sugar, into the fridge overnight, and cold smoked with cherry for 2 hours. Then set the SI #2 (or should I say Auber) to 170 for about 2 hours to and IT of 138. Turned out great. Sorry no money shot of a plate but it was yummy.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

kz0m

• Carl
Re: Sometimes You Just Have To Smoke Salmon
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 07:40:21 PM »
Bob, perfect!  Looks like my smoke last week.  I did 6 pounds with cherry and some maple, awesome taste!  Vacuum sealed,  pulled out of the freezer and tasted just like it was fresh made ;-). Nice work!

Carl
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 02:40:03 AM »
Looks great Bob! Salmon is one of my favorite things to smoke. So easy, and very popular with my friends and family. A big batch disappears pretty quickly.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 05:51:37 PM »
Bob, I too love Salmon but am new to smoking.  I have several questions:  1) Does size matter?  2) Can I smoke frozen Salmon the same way? 3) how much wood do you use?
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

TheLocNar

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 11:01:27 AM »
Bob, I too love Salmon but am new to smoking.  I have several questions:  1) Does size matter?  2) Can I smoke frozen Salmon the same way? 3) how much wood do you use?

Size only matters in that the smaller the pieces, the less time it takes.

Never smoke anything as its frozen. You'll get a nasty bitter taste. Always thaw completely first.

In the Smokin-it, less is more. You go by amount of wood depending on how long you're smoking. Shorter times = less wood. I never weigh but go by eye. It may be different for you. :)
PBC
SI #2
Chicagoish

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 06:11:39 PM »
Suzie, sorry I didn't see this earlier. Frozen is ok as long as it is fully thawed. The freezing process is a lot better than in the past with the result of fresher meat in some instances unless you can catch the salmon yourself like the lucky folks in Alaska.  ;) You can't see it from the pictures but some of my fillets had thin areas. Depending on how and how long you smoke you may find that these sections are a little less moist but I have found it pretty forgiving. I think I used 3 oz for my smoke if I remember right but a little more smoke doesn't bother me. You might try 2 oz to start and see what you think. That's what makes this hobby so fun...  :) Post your results when you get them!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 05:43:48 PM »
I'm a little behind, Bob but thanks for your post.  I'm not sure when I'll try Salmon but, of course, I will fully thaw it first.  I'll keep you posted.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC