Author Topic: This Newbie Needs Patience  (Read 3879 times)

tempest

This Newbie Needs Patience
« on: July 23, 2015, 11:22:09 AM »
Well after a couple of months of research and reading this forum, I finally bought the SI #1 yesterday.  Now I wait.....as I am in Germany until mid-August and then will be returning stateside for a few weeks at which time I intend to put some mileage on my new smoker.....can't wait.  The plan is to learn as much as I can while stateside, then use that information to purchase whatever accessories I feel are desired so that when my wife and I return permanently to Idaho at the end of November, I'll be ready to rock and roll with this baby.  You guys (and gals) have been a tremendous help and I look forward to learning more from you.
Dave
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: This Newbie Needs Patience
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 11:26:51 AM »
Welcome from Delaware, Dave!   Sounds like you have a good plan of attack....good luck with the patience, though!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 01:45:31 PM »
Hey Dave,

Welcome to the Lazy Q club from Saint Augustine Florida.

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 01:54:34 PM »
Always good to have another Dave onboard.  The good news is that Idaho Fall & Winter won't slow you down with this smoker. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 08:18:35 PM »
Welcome, Dave!!  Great to have you with us!  Check out the User Guidelines and Instructions section for "Basics for a Beginner."  This will give you an idea of everything you need to get started right.  These smokers really aren't demanding of a lot of gadgets and gizmos, like some, but a good remote thermometer and scale (to weigh your wood) are invaluable!  You'll see some other things that are nice to have, but not absolute "must haves."  If you have heavy-duty foil, remote thermometer and a scale to weigh your wood, you are set to make some great Q!

Let us know how we can help!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

drains

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 09:15:09 PM »
Welcome from Texas Dave. Have fun exploring the many possibilities your new smoker has to offer. Glad to have you on board.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 02:58:55 AM »
Hey Dave, Welcome from Kansas City. While in Germany see if you can find a good bologna recipe. Then when you get home you can smoke it. Years ago in Kansas City there was a bakery downtown called Wolfermans. They had a section of smoked luncheon meats and they were smoked. The gentleman that made them was from Germany. And don't you know not one of his kids would take over his business. But, smoked bologna is really good.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 09:41:03 AM »
Welcome from Colorado Dave! You'll love the smoker.  ;)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Limey

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 10:14:04 AM »
Hi Dave and welcome from the Keys. Lots of good information on this forum, along with lots of good people!
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

tempest

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 10:35:03 AM »
Thanks everyone for your kind welcome.  I am counting down the days to seasoning the #1 followed shortly thereafter by smoking some Ribs.  In the meanwhile, I'm on a search for some smoked bologna.  :)
Dave
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 02:28:45 PM »
Welcome Dave. The SI#1 is a great smoker! I'm sure you will enjoy some great meals.
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs