Author Topic: Pork Injection  (Read 10226 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Pork Injection
« on: May 23, 2015, 06:33:07 PM »
1 cup apple juice
1/4 cup apple cider
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp kosher salt
2 Tbsp Worcestershire
1 Tbsp rub
1 Tsp garlic powder

Simmer until well dissolved.  Fully cool and inject with 1/2 oz. / pound. 
If you want to add any other aromatics or herbs, simply strain before injection.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 09:48:47 AM by SuperDave »
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Re: Pork Injection
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 10:33:53 PM »
Hey Dave, can this be used on a Boston Butt roast?
Thanks,
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 10:03:35 AM »
Yes sir!

Grampy

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 11:33:28 AM »
Hey SuperDave, I have always brined my pork butts but I have never brined and injected. Do you brine and inject? If so is there really any noticeable difference between one that has been brined and injected over one that has only been brined or injected?
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 11:42:37 AM »
I've brined only for a very long time and when my buddy served me one that he had injected I thought it was moister than just brined.  This year I have been doing both brine and injected with great results. 

elkins20

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 03:13:57 PM »
Hi Dave, Sorry to keep bothering you with silly questions. But, am getting ready to do a pork butt and want to use your injection recipe. Just not sure of the second ingredient. As the recipe I copied has apple cider vinegar. And this recipe is just apple cider. Seems like the one I printed was  from another post. My question is which is correct? Hope you see this as going to prepare the butt with injection and rub tonight.
Thanks,
Bill
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

KY Smoke

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 05:20:08 PM »
Bill......just in case Dave's tied up tonight, I used his pork brine recipe two weekends ago and have it as Apple Cider Vinegar.  Not sure which is right but my end product with the vinegar in the recipe was excellent!  Meat had great flavor and was fall apart tender!  Hope this helps! 

Good luck and great smoke!  ;)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 05:46:32 PM »
I use the 2 some what interchangeably and know some here are anti vinegar so I changed it to the apple cider as to not scare anyone away from trying it. 

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 08:25:36 PM »
White vinegar has its place (cleaning, and Easter eggs, mostly ;) ), but I prefer apple cider vinegar (Bragg organic, with "The Mother").  Personally, I find the flavor much more enticing, and the odor too! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 09:14:20 PM »
White vinegar has its place (cleaning, and Easter eggs, mostly ;) ), but I prefer apple cider vinegar (Bragg organic, with "The Mother").  Personally, I find the flavor much more enticing, and the odor too!

+1

I agree Apple Cider Vinegar is great.

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 09:27:50 PM »
If you haven't tried it, good apple cider vinegar will cure a sore throat in no time!  Just add about a 1:3 ratio of acv to water, and gargle with it.  Amazing how fast it works!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 12:33:53 AM »
For the gargle I use warm salt water, recipe from Navy day's. As for the white vinegar I use 5% for brine to make dill pickles. And when I made a batch of Super Dave's injection this afternoon used the APCV. Yes, did taste it after cooking and had a good flavor to it.

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 09:02:24 PM »
Trying this injection today since I ran out of time to brine. It better be good! ;-)
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

Judge

• Slowly learning to smoke great food !
Re: Pork Injection and more dumb questions
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 01:51:25 AM »
Injected two 8 lb plus butts last night. Rinsed them in the morning and applied mustard and  rub. Into the smoker at 7:30 a.m. Checked them at 4 pm and they were 141 top and 150 bottom. The top one reached 188 at 1 a.m. The other one was 165. I double wrapped them at camp and brought them home. Popped the top one  in the oven at 225. Two questions

1. Does injecting add too cook time ?
2. If I cook two butts totaling 16 pounds should I allow 1.5 to 2 hours per pound on the total weight (16 lbs.) or on the individual butts (8 lbs) This took way longer than I planned on. I estimated 12 hours. 18 hours later and still waiting for one to get to 190
Woodsfield Ohio - SI#2
Hunter, fisherman, golfer.

Jimeo

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 02:28:58 PM »
Hey Judge.  I’ve never injected before, only brined, so no experience with that.  All butts have a mind of their own so cooking time should be based on each individual. I consistently see around two hours per pound, cooking at 225, regardless of brining or not.  With the double load in the #2 I’m not surprised it took longer than that.  I’ve only done two butts at the same time (in my #2) once, approximately the same size as yours, and recall it taking 18+ hours.
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310