Author Topic: Smoker Salmon  (Read 4189 times)

al_sfbay

Smoker Salmon
« on: June 15, 2014, 11:33:54 AM »
I have smoke this before in my old smoker but this was the 1st time in my SI. IT was super good. I tend to cut the salmon into smaller pieces .25 to .5 lbs each as that seems to be a good serving size.  This also allows you to put the thicker ones on the top shelf.

BRINE
1 C salt
1/2 white sugar
1/2 brown sugar
1 tblsn crushed juniper berries
2 tspn crushed peppercorns
1 gal water & 1 c. ice cubes

Brine for 3-4 hrs.
remove, rinse and pat dry.  put on a rack and air dry until it is sticky to the touch. This forms the pellicle.  I put mine in the refrigerator without a cover.

Place 3oz, small pieces of applewood in the smoker box.  Spray frog mats or a seafood grill will oil/pam.  Place salmon on upper racks unless there is too much in which case put the thicker pieces on the top.  Brush the salmon with a thin coat of maple syrup.  Smoke for 2 hrs at 140 the turn to 150.  Continue to smoke until IT reaches 145.  Then remove and cover loosely with foil to rest.  When cool, you can take a spoon and gently remove  the albumin (white stuff) if you prefer and the vacuum bag it and you are done.

-Allison

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
Re: Smoker Salmon
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 11:41:38 AM »
Hi Allison,

Thanks for posting, I am going to give it a try in the near future.  Approximately how many pounds will your brine cover?
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 09:46:47 AM »
That sounds good Allison. Your base of 1 cup sugar, 1 cup salt, 1 gal water is what my grandmother used in Alaska to brine all meat and fish before it went in the smoke house. Do you toast your juniper and peppercorns? I find that giving them a little heat in a cast iron skillet (until you smell them) wakes them up. Nice job on the fish.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 01:41:05 AM »
I have smoke this before in my old smoker but this was the 1st time in my SI. IT was super good. I tend to cut the salmon into smaller pieces .25 to .5 lbs each as that seems to be a good serving size.  This also allows you to put the thicker ones on the top shelf.

BRINE
1 C salt
1/2 white sugar
1/2 brown sugar
1 tblsn crushed juniper berries
2 tspn crushed peppercorns
1 gal water & 1 c. ice cubes

Brine for 3-4 hrs.
remove, rinse and pat dry.  put on a rack and air dry until it is sticky to the touch. This forms the pellicle.  I put mine in the refrigerator without a cover.

Place 3oz, small pieces of applewood in the smoker box.  Spray frog mats or a seafood grill will oil/pam.  Place salmon on upper racks unless there is too much in which case put the thicker pieces on the top.  Brush the salmon with a thin coat of maple syrup.  Smoke for 2 hrs at 140 the turn to 150.  Continue to smoke until IT reaches 145.  Then remove and cover loosely with foil to rest.  When cool, you can take a spoon and gently remove  the albumin (white stuff) if you prefer and the vacuum bag it and you are done.

-Allison

I tried this recipe today... My first smoke with my brand new Model 3... And I have to say, it was the best salmon I have ever tasted!  I didn't have the peppercorns or berries but it was incredible!  Thank you for posting this recipe.  It's going in my permanent folder!!!!

Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

mnsmoker

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 07:16:23 PM »
I have done a similar version of this the only difference I like to dry under  a fan for about 3 hrs. , the drying process is the critical element to this recipe, I have done salmon where I didn't dry and it's not nearly as good, I would encourage everyone to give it a try: Brine for 12 hrs; dry for 3 hrs; smoke @ 145 until an IT of 140, 2 hrs. or so, brush with maple syrup before going in and after 1 hr. you will really impress this recipe.
Jim from Minnesota