Author Topic: Homemade BACON  (Read 4415 times)

TheSneakyZebra

Homemade BACON
« on: March 20, 2014, 09:54:16 PM »
Recipe adapted from Ruhlman
-5 pound belly (skin on, this actually helps protect the fat. Skin on especially if you hot smoke).
-50 grams Kosher salt
-12 grams pink salt
-50 grams Brown Sugar
-60 milliliters maple syrup (optional)

1. Put belly in a large ziplock bag, Mix your cure and rub it on your belly good (put most of it on the flesh side).  Then into the fridge it goes.

2. Flip the bag every other day for 7-10 days to overhaul.

3. After 7-10 days you are looking for a firm belly, doesn't have to be hard, just not mushy. Rinse off cure well (I like to soak mine for about 45 minutes after rinsing), and pat dry and set on a rack and let it dry in the fridge for about 24 hours to form a good pellicle.

4. Cold or hot smoke to your liking a mix. (For starters I recommend hot smoking around 175-185, pull it when IT reads 135-145) I used a mix of hickory and apple on this batch. I am not sure how much I used but I know I only used 1 hickory dowel and a 3-4 medium chunks of apple wood. After 2 hours I added 2 more medium sized apple chunks.

5. Once done remove the skin. Let it come to room temperature, wrap and let it sit in the fridge overnight.

You now have slab bacon and can cut however you like it. After it rests in the fridge overnight some like to put it in the fridge for a couple of hours to make slicing easier. My butcher loves my bacon, so he slices it for me and only asks for a dozen slices. This batch that I did in the smoking-it 3 yielded me about 130 slices of bacon  8)

**Know the risks of curing and using pink salt**
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 10:23:42 PM by TheSneakyZebra »
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

TheSneakyZebra

Re: Homemade BACON
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 09:55:59 PM »
Sorry this took so long. I work in healthcare and we have been hit really hard with all the changes so I have been trying to stay afloat. On top of all that the past couple weeks my family has been sick, first the kiddos, then the wife, now it got me  :-[

Let me know if yall have any questions, I would be glad to help!
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

Walt

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 10:02:02 PM »
Very informative.  I appreciate the detail.  This is definately on my list of things to try.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 10:19:21 PM »
I just drooled all over myself. :o   That looks incredible!  I have to try this!!! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TheSneakyZebra

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 10:25:23 PM »
Thanks guys. It is actually very simple and it has been the best/easiest basic recipe that I have come across. Hope it works out well for y'all!
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 10:33:58 PM »
Did you smoke both slabs at the same time?

If so, how did yup position them on the racks?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

TheSneakyZebra

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 10:36:56 PM »
I smoked them on different days. One size was thicker than the other so I wanted it to cure for a day longer. I smoked them on the 2nd from the top rack.
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM