Author Topic: Brines 101: The differences between Gradient and Equilibrium Brines  (Read 70875 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Brines 101: The differences between Gradient and Equilibrium Brines
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 08:39:23 PM »
On second thought, you could zero-out the cure percentage (ppm) to just get the salt and sugar amounts.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 08:45:03 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 08:45:29 PM »
That was my assumption.  Thanks.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 09:32:39 PM »
Let us know what percentages you go with.  I'm sure you'll probably adjust on the next one, so a starting point will be great!  I'm going to brine a brisket soon, so I look forward to your results!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Walt

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 09:38:28 PM »
I'm going to start a new post fot this brisket & document the entire process.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Walt

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2015, 12:59:30 PM »
Martin,

What is the maximum time you could leave the protein In the equilibrium brine (useing your standard parameters in the formula)?  My last brine was 20lbs of butt & they sat for 11 days. Never found time to get to them sooner. Cooked one a couple days ago & it was outstanding.  My understanding is if its over 14 days, instacure#2 would be needed.  Is this correct & if so what benefit, if any, would there be to the protein?   Or, should a 14 day cieling be placed on this type of brineing?
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2015, 09:10:36 AM »
Sorry I missed your question until now.
Up to a couple weeks or even more is fine.
I tend to inject to speed things up rather than go with a long brine time.
Cure #2 is intended for dry curing where the meat or sausage is hung to dry for an extended period of time.

HTH
~Martin

Walt

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2015, 10:20:51 AM »
Thanks.  I've used instacure #2, as per the receipe, for the 2 week dry cures on Breasola & Prosciutini.  My understanding is, injecting or useing a jaccard is not a safe practice if followed by dry ageing.  However, that would really help speed things up for a brine alone. Please correct any misunderstanding I may have.

It is outstanding having your level of knowledge on the forum.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2015, 10:55:17 AM »
Some folks do caution against injecting before dry curing but it's been common practice for a very long time and when you think about it it's no more dangerous than dry curing sausages (assuming recommended safety parameters are followed, mainly, proper levels of salt and appropriate cure)
A combination cure, a dry cure mix applied to the outside of the meat and a brine injected along the bone, has been promoted by Morton and the like for decades. The injected curing brine speeds up the overall curing and protects against bone-sour, which is serious potential problem if just a dry cure is applied.

The important thing, in terms of safety, when dry curing whole cuts or sausages for an extend period of time is the percentage of salt used.....the general consensus is that 2.5% salt is the absolute minimum required for safety.

HTH
~Martin

Walt

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2015, 11:30:25 AM »
Thanks again, Martin.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

pignout013

• pignout@aol.com
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2015, 04:09:01 PM »
Let me see if I have this correct .If I have 4530 g pic nik. I add my 4530 g water. Then i can add salt, sugar, and seasoning but at the end of the day th water and meat weight must be equal? Or water equal to meat and seasoning combind weight? Doing it this way how do you figure % of cure going in to a 10,15,or30%. Im a little confussed but please bare with me I will get it. thanks
  KD

RG

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 06:58:50 PM »
Use the online calculator and it should clear things up for you.

Equilibrium Brine Calculator
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 07:01:28 PM by RG »

DivotMaker

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 07:01:39 PM »
Hi KD - welcome to the club!  I see this is your first post, so be sure to head over to the Introductions section some time, and tell us a little about yourself.

When I make an equilibrium brine, I get the amounts of salt, cure and sugar from Martin's calculator (which are based on the meat weight, and the percentage of salt and sugar desired).  Then, I measure out the dry ingredients of the brine in a pan, and add around a cup of water.  I like to heat my brine ingredients to dissolve them and blend the flavors.

After the brine is cooled, I add that to a clean container on the scale, with it zeroed.  Add the cooked part first, then add plain water to make the weight equal to the meat weight.  I look at the water and ingredients as a single unit (the brine), and make it equal to the meat weight.  I'm not sure if this is actually how to do it, but it doesn't really matter - as long as you do it the same way, every time.  This is what makes the consistency.

As far as the 10, 15 or 30% cure question - that one's for the ham and sausage makers.  I assume the amount of #1, figured in the calculator, is enough to cure the meat.  I guess I didn't know their are different "degrees" of cure.  Please educate me, if you know.
Tony from NW Arkansas

pignout013

• pignout@aol.com
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2015, 09:24:12 PM »
Sorry i was in a hurry last post and didnt review before posting so I was very vague. I saw in some ones post they talked about injecting to prevent bone sour in large cuts of meat (Ham).  The % of cure #1 added to the brine would have to be much higher in a 7% pump then a 30% pump to get to the approx 200ppm nitrite in ham. The % of pump is figured off of green weight so a 7% pump would have way more cure #1 then a 30% pump . In a 20lb ham at 7% pump you would inject 1.4 lbs brine into ham, at 30% pump you would inject 6lbs brine. all the brine in martins calculator show the same 6.25%cure  7% pump would contain .0875 lb of nitrite in a 20lb ham and 30% pump would have .5 lbs nitrite in the same 20lb ham. I hope im making sence because this confusses the hell out of me also.  (#1) Sorry im not the shapest tool in the shed when it comes to this figuring stuff. LMAO at myself!!! Thanks again for any help and if I sound like a hater or trouble make im not and refer to #1 Kevin

DivotMaker

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2015, 09:45:24 PM »
OK, Kevin, I think I see what you're talking about.  Hopefully, Martin or Brian (Pork Belly) will chime in on this one.  My take is that, since you are wet brining (meat submersed in liquid), with an equilibrium brine, the percentage of nitrites doesn't matter; the entire solution will equalize.  In large cuts, like a ham, you would inject the same brine into the meat, especially around the bone.  Given a long enough brine time, the solution will eventually reach equilibrium throughout the meat.  Make sense?

From my rudimentary understanding of ham making, I believe you are referring to injecting brine, but not submersing the whole piece in solution, right?  These are two different animals, that essentially achieve the same results.  The difference being, is that the equilibrium brine will be repeatable, very predictably.

As far as the 6.25% calculation - that is the percentage of nitrite in the #1 curing salt, not the desired percentage.  If you inject the solution, with the amount of #1 from the calculator, the ham will get cured all the way through.

Someone please correct me if my assumptions are wrong!
Tony from NW Arkansas

pignout013

• pignout@aol.com
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2015, 12:51:09 AM »
Thanks DM, Ya I know 6.25 is the % nitrite in cure #1 and not sure why I used that specific #. I think I have the way to say this so all can understand. I think we all can agree the reason you pump is to speed up the curing process and to keep from get sour bone because the brine will not soak through the outside to the bone before it starts to spoil at the bone. Now this would be easy if a person had a vacuum tumbler like the big boys but most of us don't. So lets say you use the martin method  Meat weight  9060 g
                                       Nitrite           6.25%                                =28.99
                                        Salt              2%                                    =154.02
                                       Sugar             1%                                    = 90.6
     (sausage 156ppm)        Nitrite           200ppm       = total     wt          9333.61
Now sence we agree that if we dont pump there is a very good chance of bone sour.
So i pickle the leg in this brine above and all of the meat being reach with brine from outside will have 156 ppm but now we take 7% of ham green wt and inject 634 g(7%) in to the leg 2.03 g nitrite, but if i inject with a 20% pump, inject 1812g brine into the leg 5.79 g nitrite. I hope with this written like this you understand my point. I think digging dog may understand what im saying. Thanks again hopefully this will lead to all of us learning something. Its beddy by time. Going fishing for spring Chinook in the morn. Have a good evening KD