Author Topic: DM's All-Purpose Poultry Brine  (Read 17391 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: DM's All-Purpose Poultry Brine
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 01:29:09 AM »
I also use a water pan for skinless poultry. Skin-on poultry I skip it though.

Glad to hear it was a success.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Papa Rick

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 10:34:00 PM »
Just getting back in everyone, and I REALLY appreciate the Information and advice.  Before I have always bought a Turkey Breast (Honeysuckle) that had their own mixture in it already and it turned out really good, but wanting to take it up another notch.

Tony, you talk about moving it to the Brine Section, I am so glad you stated this as I did not know we had one on here.  Goes to show you how much I pay attention.

Also is there a special type or brand of onion that people put in the cavity?

Another question, I will be doing 4 Turkey Breast the day before Thanksgiving and want to know how is the best way to reheat them on Turkey day?  Didn't know if it is best to go ahead and slice them right after I cook them, or wait until the next day?  I am cooking the Smoked Mac and Cheese and 18 Turkey wrapped Chicken thighs the morning of Turkey Day as I have read about the MC being dry if you try to reheat it and thought it might be better to have the Chicken Thighs fresh off the smoker.

Any advice and suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated.
Richard from NE Alabama  # 2 smoker

Danbow

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 02:05:00 PM »
Tony,

After brining the bird do you also apply a rub before you smoke? I am fixing to brine a few Pheasant breasts and was going to brine for 3hrs then sprinkle on some Greek seasoning then smoke with Mulberry. Is the brine going to impart enough flavor that the dry rub will be overkill?

Your thoughts.....
Danny from Cowley County Kansas
Open fire tractor wheel griller, Oklahoma Joes stick smoker, Proud Smokin-it 3D wi-fi owner

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2017, 03:21:07 PM »
Danny, while brine does add some subtle flavor, its primary purpose is moisture.  I would recommend also adding a rub of your liking.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Danbow

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2017, 05:11:11 PM »
Thanks Dave. I was thinking the Tony's Catcherees Greek. We use it on our beer can chicken and its tasty. Thought it might be good for the pheasant breasts.
Danny from Cowley County Kansas
Open fire tractor wheel griller, Oklahoma Joes stick smoker, Proud Smokin-it 3D wi-fi owner

Tar54

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2017, 05:37:38 PM »
Tony can you brine 8-10 hours for a whole bird? I want to try your brine and I am trying to figure out how to get it to jive with my work schedule...
Rick from Central Indiana
Smokin-It 2D...residing at my sons new home along with his soon to be Bride!
No.1 Analog with Fireboard controller

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2017, 06:30:48 PM »
What kind of bird? Chicken? Turkey? A general rule of thumb is 1 hour per pound of bird. You can adjust the salt if the basic brine time does not fit your schedule.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Tar54

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2017, 07:59:28 PM »
What kind of bird? Chicken? Turkey? A general rule of thumb is 1 hour per pound of bird. You can adjust the salt if the basic brine time does not fit your schedule.
Sorry...Chicken...can I brine it and cook it several hours later?
Rick from Central Indiana
Smokin-It 2D...residing at my sons new home along with his soon to be Bride!
No.1 Analog with Fireboard controller

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2017, 10:26:39 PM »
Brine about 1 hour per pound for chicken. If you need to brine it for 8-10 hours, and have a 4 or so pound chicken, then you can reduce the salt in the brine. Maybe to 1/2 cup salt per gallon of water (instead of 1 cup per gallon of water). You can leave the rest of the ingredients as is. It is no problem to brine in advance, rinse, then keep in the refrigerator until you are ready to smoke.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 10:29:31 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide