Author Topic: Smoking Salmon on My #2  (Read 13328 times)

Camadile

• Cookin' Outdoors, Mojoe Style
    • Mojoe Outfitters
Smoking Salmon on My #2
« on: February 05, 2014, 11:43:39 PM »
I think that I need to change the subject and talk about smoking for a little while.  The main reason that I bought my #2 was because a long-time friend was smoking his Sierra caught trout at the end of each summer.  It was really good and all he was using was a cheap "Little Chief" smoker.  Then one time, he threw some salmon in his smoker with the trout and I was hooked (so to speak!) 

I decided that I wanted to smoke salmon and knew that I could make it better with better equipment.  So I bought the Model 2 (salmon was the catalyst, but I was becoming more interested in smoking pork and beef as well.)  After it arrived, I decided to go for broke on the first try and bought 15 pounds of Atlantic salmon filets (Twelve large half filets).  $120 for the lot.

The secret to amazing smoked salmon is the brining and the pellicle .  My friend had a secret recipe for a fish brine recipe and smoking procedure.  I used that recipe along with some of my own "adjustments" because I can't help myself.  The whole procedure is a lot of work and takes a lot of time.

The brine recipe has a total of 23 different ingredients (including water and salt).  To make a double batch of brine and immerse the fish into it takes almost two hours.  The salmon filets are rinsed but the skin is left on.  The brine and the salmon are loaded into a standard white kitchen trash bag (two bags for this amount of fish) and then all of the air, every last bubble, is massaged out of the salmon and the bag is tied off.  For protection, the first bag is put into a second bag and tied off.  The salmon bags are put into the fridge for a minimum of 14 hours and are supposed to be turned every two-three hours.  Since this is an overnight process for me, they just sit there while I sleep.

Hopefully, you are not getting bored yet!  First thing in the morning, each and every filet must be thoroughly rinsed under the faucet and individually dried with paper towels.  Now it's time to form the pellicle (spell check says this isn't a word, but it really is!) on the outside of the filet. A pellicle is a thin, lacquer-like layer on top of the fish that seals it and offers a sticky surface for the smoke to adhere to. It also prevents the smoke from penetrating too deep into the flesh which is actually a good thing with fish.  This process takes about one or two hours depending on the weather conditions.

My pellicle system consists of a large grill/grate that I put the salmon on and a large box fan to blow air over the fish.  See the attached photo.  If I am smoking in the desert, I don't need the fan.  The pellicle is complete when your finger detects a slight stickiness when you poke the fish and it doesn't feel like a small amount of pressure pressure will break open the top surface of the fish.  Remember that we still haven't removed the salmon skin from the bottom side of the filets.

When the pellicle process is complete, it's into the smoker, three fillets per shelf (I almost said rack!).  I set the dial at 175 degrees and put in about four ounces of hickory.  I haven't smoked salmon since I received my new Maverick so that's the only temp info I can give you.

After four hours, I remove all the fish from the smoker.  By now you will see white albumin coming up through cracks in the top surface of the fish.  Take a spoon or a dull knife and try to remove as much of the white stuff as you can.  Then turn each fillet over and gingerly remove the salmon skin.  It should come off relatively easy.  Place the fillets back on the shelves and return them to the smoker.  Fish previously on the bottom shelf should be put on the top and vice versa.  Put another couple of ounces of hickory in the fire box and increase the dial to 185.  Keep the salmon in the smoker for at least another three hours.

When finished, turn the smoker off and open the door to let the salmon cool.  When cool. remove the salmon and cut each fillet in half.  Vacuum seal each piece (twenty-four pieces total).  Vacuum sealing actually enhances the flavor and moistness by distributing the salmon fat evenly throughout the meat.

The vacuum sealed salmon may be frozen with little detrimental effect.  I always end up giving most of it away to family, friends and clients within a couple of weeks.  The accolades are worth it!  Everyone, without exception, says that it is the best smoked salmon they ever had and I happen to agree.

If you read this far, you are really in to smoking!

Cam

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
Re: Smoking Salmon on My #2
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 10:56:32 PM »
Very nice Cam! I will have to one day try the wet brine on a salmon smoke.
Check out my post in Salmon for what I do as well. You might want to give that a try too.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 10:13:38 PM »
That is a lot of good looking salmon. Thanks for sharing.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Camadile

• Mojoe Outfitters
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 10:32:06 PM »
Very nice Cam! I will have to one day try the wet brine on a salmon smoke.
Check out my post in Salmon for what I do as well. You might want to give that a try too.

Try the wet brine, main ingredients> salt, brown sugar, soy sauce and a lot of different herbs and spices.  You gave a great "How to" on the dry brine, thanks for that.

Cam

Camadile

• Mojoe Outfitters
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 10:33:34 PM »
That is a lot of good looking salmon. Thanks for sharing.

Its expensive too so you get real nervous about screwing it up!

Cam

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 10:34:32 PM »
Exactly Cam!
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 10:45:38 PM »
Funny how we get nervous about the expensive smokes! ;D   When I did my $100+ prime rib at Christmas, I was a one big, raw nerve while it was smoking!  Also funny how they usually turn out just fine!  We have the right tool for the job, fellas!  We just have to be confident in our preparations, and let our SIs do their job!!  I'm as guilty as anyone on over-worrying during a new smoke! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 11:04:10 PM »
Your prime was awesome and I completely agree with the concern over the high price of some of the meats we use. It is only natural to be worried about ruining something that expensive. But in the end most, if not all, have done well with these units.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 11:04:32 PM »
Nothing is ruined if you have beer and a pet dog.  (ok, I over smoked a butt once that even the dog would not touch)
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 11:07:48 PM »
LOL Sarge, how bad was that for a dog NOT to eat it? Must have been carbon by that point since my dog will eat poop without a blink of his eye. LOL
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 11:16:50 PM »
HaHahaha!  Mine too, Ben!  He's a full-blood English Mastif (about 200 lbs), 6 years old, and I still can't break him of that!  Dave - I can guarantee my Cyrus would have loved your pork butt!!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 11:20:02 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 11:22:24 PM »
WOW Tony big dog!
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

Camadile

• Mojoe Outfitters
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 11:31:58 PM »
LOL Sarge, how bad was that for a dog NOT to eat it? Must have been carbon by that point since my dog will eat poop without a blink of his eye. LOL

I go hiking every day with my dog and there is always a few road apples left over from the pack train.  If I don't keep an eye on Mojoe, she'll go for it!  She even looks guilty while she's mackin' it down!  We call it "Vitamin S" in these parts.

Cam

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 11:33:01 PM »
CAM- LOL vit S
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 11:42:48 PM »
WOW Tony big dog!

Yep.  He's my "Meathead!"  English Mastifs are some of the best dogs around!  Big, but very loving and gentle.  They love to be close to you, and are extremely good-natured and loyal.  And he lives for rib and pork butt bones! ;D   If you've ever seen the movie "The Sandlot," that's what he is.
Tony from NW Arkansas