Author Topic: Brand New Model 3!  (Read 3958 times)

RunItRagged

Brand New Model 3!
« on: April 06, 2013, 12:07:55 PM »
My brother bought one a model 2, 3 months ago.  I was super impressed.  For 15 years, I've been babysitting my NBBD during smokes.  It was tuned for 225F but still there is the refilling the wood box (babysitting).  6 butts would take 12-14 hours and a case of beer.
Ordered this Model 3.  It was shipped Super Fast.  The packing was superb.  Literally no chance of transit damage.  This is one impressive unit!
Got it seasoned and am now in the process of smoking a half ham and a whole chicken.  About 15 minutes in, Acrid yellow smoke came pouring out.  You guessed it ...  The included Hickory pegs caught fire. Stuck on Ove Gloves and removed the chunks.  rubbed out the fire and replaced just one of the chunks.  Still it caught on fire. 
Would wrapping the chunks in foil help?

I guess I'll answer my own question...  YES!  Foil works perfectly.  No more fires and just sweet white smoke that seems to last longer.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:10:26 PM by RunItRagged »

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Brand New Model 3!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 09:28:13 PM »
Just a quick question:  When you smoke, is the weather windy?  If so, that could be part of the flame problem, as the wind moves quickly over and under the smoker, increasing draft and flow. Your wrapping with foil helps to restrict the air from reaching the wood embers and thereby stops the flames.  Just a thought.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

RunItRagged

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 12:52:52 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, Sarge, it was windy.  I think I'll stick with the wrapping, though.  The next day the weather was calm.  4 full racks of ribs went in with the wrapped chunks.  It seems to smooth out the process as the smoke stays steady.  No ash, either.
Know anything about the the rib hooks?  I'm trying to figure out how many racks I can get in by hanging or using one of those "slanty" things.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 10:18:09 PM »
Whatever works is good.  And you have one less item needing cleaning to boot!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Thin Blue

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 01:42:05 PM »
I keep the wood chunks as far away from the grease drain hole in the bottom of my #3 as I can.
I have not had a problem with the chunks catching fire, so far.
The air coming through the drain hole could help fan the wood chunks increasing the possibility of a chunk or chunks catching fire.
Have: Tejas stick burner roll top and a Smokin-it #3 w/ Auber

Had: Brinkmann vertical charcoal, wore out; Old Smoky, not to my liking sold; Brinkmann Pro offset, gave to friend;  Sams Club propane smoker, junk, returned to SAMs; 2 Brinkmann vertical electric, wore out.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 02:09:19 PM »
I have not tried foiling the wood chunks.  Do you just punch a bunch of holes in the top of the foil, or leave it partially open?
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 07:14:51 PM »
I've done probably 15 smokes in my #1, and have never had wood catch fire.  I used the Smokin-It dowels for hickory, and Fruitawood chunks for fruit wood.  I usually put the chunks near the back of the smoke box, make sure my drain hole is open, and try to not open the door during a cook.  Curious - did you open the door before the dowels caught fire?  That's a lot of oxygen rushing into a air-controlled environment.

Congrats on the new #3!  Lots of good times ahead of you!  Throw some pics up when you can, and hang out here when able.  Welcome to the club!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 10:13:55 PM »
One more thing, Runit, I started a thread to help Steve see where folks found out about our units:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=806.0

Check it out, if you'd like, and post your experience!  Thanks!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

bigboy74

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 02:16:10 AM »
Welcome to the forum and happy smoking!