Author Topic: First Sausage and First Use of the Smokin-It 3D Pro Smoker  (Read 1012 times)

kcobbva

First Sausage and First Use of the Smokin-It 3D Pro Smoker
« on: December 19, 2023, 07:16:10 AM »
Finished my 1st smoke over the weekend and tested the results last night finally.  I followed the Jalapeno Cheddar Sausage recipe on Meat Church, and then also did a DIY Kit for Jalapeno Hot Cheese from the Bearded Butchers.   One thing I learned, my Weston #8 grinder will find a new home.   I immediately purchased a Meat! #22 after completing making the sausages over the weekend!   Overall the texture consistency wasn't horrible.  I definitely have room for improvement.  The snap wasn't 100% on the sausage, but it was pretty darned good regardless.  Followed all the tips from Eric on Two Guys and a Cooler regarding prepping the casing etc.   I ran the sausages at 100 for 1 hour with the door open on my 3D Pro, then at 170 for 2 hours, and then bumped to 200 until the sausages reached 150.   Ultimately, I think the Bearded Butchers recipe was good.   The Meat Church was definitely spicy, and I enjoyed that as well. It had a stronger flavor, so I think I'll try them in reverse order next time to get a good feel for the BB version.  Very pleased I purchased the Smokin-it Smoker.   I have bacon curing in the fridge now, so we'll have Christmas bacon this year!
The 1st pic is hanging at 2 hours.  2nd pic is the meat church version and 3rd is the bb version.   Again, definitely need some work with the grind and mixing, but not disappointed for my 1st time making sausage either. 
Kevin from Northern VA

Outdoor toys:
Smokin-It 3.5 Pro
Xl Big Green Egg
Traeger 885 Ironwood

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: First Sausage and First Use of the Smokin-It 3D Pro Smoker
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 08:22:34 PM »
Looks like a good first effort. Keep at it and enjoy.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

kcobbva

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2023, 07:56:41 AM »
Thanks.   The test was having my daughter over last night and cooking and giving one of each for her and getting her seal of approval!   :)  On to meat sticks Friday. 
Kevin from Northern VA

Outdoor toys:
Smokin-It 3.5 Pro
Xl Big Green Egg
Traeger 885 Ironwood

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2023, 09:52:34 AM »
If family likes it, all is success!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95