Author Topic: Temperature confusion  (Read 691 times)

Blizz

Temperature confusion
« on: May 15, 2023, 02:10:22 AM »
About to start the spring out with some jerky, but I’m slightly confused.  I see in YouTube videos that you need to bring the meat to a 160 internal temp before the dry process can be started.  I assumed this is for safety reasons.  But now in scanning the forum here I see all kinds of different process including never taking the temps above 100 degrees?  What am I missing here.. I can’t even rap my head around the brine process cause I’m stuck wondering about the temps and safety on the meat.  If I’m using cure #1 I don’t have to ever worry about the meat reaching 165?

Please enlighten me… I really wanna get to that happy jerky heaven ASAP… 8)

Lonzinomaker

Re: Temperature confusion
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2023, 02:13:52 PM »
I bring my jerky to 160 at the end of the drying process. I think I get a more tender chew without cooking it during the drying process. 
I think my brine with the salt and cure #1 keep bacteria from growing and becoming dangerous while the meat is drying, but that is only my opinion.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

Blizz

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2023, 11:21:49 PM »
So can I assume then it is needed to get the internal temp to 160?  Didn’t notice yesterday on my initial post that this forum seems to be pretty inactive unfortunately…

:(

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2023, 11:38:16 PM »
I do bring the jerky to 160, but only after it is where I want it to be moisture wise.  It only has to be at 160 for a minute.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

Blizz

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 10:17:03 AM »
The confusion is still there.  I just did some more YouTube research… watched Chuds bbq and Aaron Franklin videos, both never took the meat over 145 degrees. Then I watched a Meatgistics (Waltons) video and they specifically insured the meat was taken to 160 degrees.  Maybe it’s a play at your own risk thing??

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 08:31:55 PM »
Everyone has their own method that works for them. While I do not do jerky or poultry, I do pork and beef. How I do it will differ from what others do and the family likes the results.  Best advice is to safely experiment.  Over on another forum, I have seen jerky that was ground and formed, meat sliced thin and meat sliced thick - 1/8" to 1/4" or thereabouts based upon personal taste. Maybe you can adapt this recipe:
https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/the-best-homemade-beef-jerky-recipe.html
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives