Author Topic: Hello From North Georgia  (Read 6697 times)

puddle jumper

Hello From North Georgia
« on: August 09, 2013, 04:55:11 AM »
Woo Hoo ,,
My number 2 is on order as of about 10pm tonight,,,

I'm not new to smoking but after burning up my 4th element in my Brinkman Gourmet Electric I decided that its time to upgrade to a better smoker,something that the wind did not blow the heat out of and I could smoke all year round,, one that will last , After reading everything I could find on electric smokers and watching about 20 hrs of You tube videos I decided on the best cooker for me,,, A Smokin-It #2 and here we are...
I think it will fit right in with my, Reverse flow stick burner, propane double basket fryer, turkey fryer, and grill..

Anyways thanks for having me around...
and look forward to posting some Q and sharing smoking stories...
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Hello From North Georgia
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 06:38:30 AM »
Welcome, puddle jumper!   Like you, I spent a lot of time researching electric smokers and watching way too , many youtube videos (some several times).   I settled on the #2 back in January -- a perfect decision!  The #2 is perfect for me and family and is usually smoking every weekend.   I think you will enjoy as well--good choice.

Happy smok'in!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

es1025

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 10:16:40 AM »
John, welcome aboard. As a novice a few months ago, after reading and participating on this forum I have learned alot. Please share your knowledge. Btw, these smokers are great, you made a great purchase.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Horsepowerfarm

• 3 is my favorite number.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 07:32:27 PM »
Hey Puddle Jumper, you will be amazed at the wonderful people on this forum. Their advise is great. Good luck with your new smoker.
Winslow
Austin, Texas
Smokem' if you got 'em!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 07:39:06 PM »
Congrats on the #2, Puddle ... I think you'll find very quickly that these smokers are a quantum leap past the Brinkmann units.

Be sure to stick with the seasoning instructions provided and I'd lay in some extra-wide HD tin foil for lining the floor of the smoker.  I doubt you'll need much advice since you've been smoking for a while but feel free to brag on your smokes and post your recipes.  And, as always, if any of us can help just give a shout.   :)

Out of curiosity, where in North Georgia are you located?  I've got plenty of family from Douglasville, Atlanta, Columbus, and all the way down to Valdosta ...
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 08:24:10 PM »
Welcome to the party, PJ!  That's a good-lookin' table full of Q there!  You'll love your #2, and I bet the rest of your Q toys will get a little lonely.  Hang out with us when you can, and let us know how it's going! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

puddle jumper

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 08:49:51 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes guys..
Joe, I was raised in D-ville, I live just outside of Calhoun now its between Dalton and Cartersville..

I Must confess I have not been using the smoker over the last few years as much,, I'm really trying to get healthy and loose some weight,, the reason I'm bringing this up is I'm trying to go down a new road and come up with Q that's also better for me...So I'm sure there will be some new ways to use the smoker that I have never thought about  with turkey, chicken,, fish... I still want to do the "good" Q just not as much of it,,, but I love smoking and cooking so I"m open to ideas also...
PJ
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 08:57:01 PM by puddle jumper »
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

UWFSAE

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 08:53:59 PM »
Ha!  Small world ... if you remember a couple of buildings in the downtown Douglasville  area with "J.C. McCarley" in raised brick, that's my namesake and great-grandfather.  It's some beautiful country up there ...
Joe from Houston, TX

puddle jumper

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 09:01:31 PM »
Yup,, Small world...If you have'nt been over there in a while you would not recognize that are,, Atlanta kind of sucked that area up, it was small town when i grew up out there,not anymore, When I got out of the Coast Guard I wanted to get back to that small town feeling so I headed to the mountains..
That's great,,,
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 07:31:46 PM »
When I got out of the Coast Guard I wanted to get back to that small town feeling so I headed to the mountains..
That's great,,,
PJ

Hehe...I wondered if that's where "Puddle Jumper" came from!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

puddle jumper

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 05:34:13 PM »
yup.. That's where it started ...and Im also a die hard Cat Fisherman and that's the name I use and a hand full of other sites so to make things easy to remember I keep my same name everywhere...
 8)
PJ
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 05:57:58 PM by puddle jumper »
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

UWFSAE

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 07:35:29 PM »
Wow ... so I assume smoked cat will be on your menu soon?
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 07:56:15 PM »
Judging from the size of those cats, I think you should have gone for a #4 (or two)! ;D   Wow.
Tony from NW Arkansas

BIG BOB

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 08:47:55 AM »
WOW... fat cats!  i am also a fisherman, but i prefer the panfish for eating. I also go on trips to Canada for northern pike and walleye. Musky are plentiful where my lakehouse is so we target those toothy critters as well.
Indiana fishing pales in comparison to fishing in Canada.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

puddle jumper

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 03:13:46 PM »
I would love to go to Canada on a fishing trip,,,

The big cats get released to fight again another day but we do catch a mess of smaller fish that we fry up,, It takes fish that size anywhere from 20 to 30 years to get that big so we try to protect them by only taking smaller one's to eat, I always have some in the freezer...

But yup, smoked fish is on the list to go into the smoker
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner