Author Topic: Andouille Condensation Issues  (Read 879 times)

Hoodoo Voodoo

Andouille Condensation Issues
« on: July 27, 2022, 05:49:45 PM »
Hi All - we've had our 5-D Wifi for about a year, and have been really happy with the Andouille sausage we make to use in our restaurant's recipes. About 6 months ago, we started finishing cooking the sausage by poaching in a steam kettle, and are happy with the increased control that gives us. This summer, we began having issues with the sausage sweating. I hang the sausage in the smoker overnight, with a box fan blowing on it, and it's very dry the next day. Since we're not "cooking" the sausage, I've been cold smoking most recently, hoping that would cut back on the humidity in the smoker. I've cut back to only about 30 lbs of sausage per batch in the smoker, also in the hopes of reducing humidity. We use the Bella (CookinPellets Hickory), and have a very powerful ventilation fan with a 10" duct about 8" above the smoke hole, so I know it's pulling some air through the smoker, but apparently not enough - smoke ventilation is perfect though. After the smoke starts to diminsh after the first batch of pellets, I crack open the door, and the sausage is dry again after 20 minutes or so. Any assistance with this issue would be greatly appreciated!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Andouille Condensation Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 08:04:45 PM »
Try dropping the drip pan to the ground rather than having it attached.  This should provide a little more access to fresh air.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus