Author Topic: Box Temperature Display Erratic  (Read 546 times)

oldfogey

Box Temperature Display Erratic
« on: July 24, 2022, 07:27:37 PM »
I'm having problems with my 5yr. old 3.5 D. When I tried to smoke some Buckboard bacon the box temp. screen started going up rapidly and then the high temp. alarm went off. I emptied the box, unplugged the meat probe and set the P2 program for a test. Same thing happened. My smoker is in my garage and has never been wet from rain. Is there a way to test the box probe or does this sound like a controller failure? My AH1 is set at 375 and AH2 at 250. I would appreciate any advice on my problem.   
Charles from Ohio
SI 3.5D
Dyna-Glo Dual Zone Stainless Charcoal Grill, X-Large
Chefman Sous Vide Immersion Circulator

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Box Temperature Display Erratic
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 10:10:31 PM »
My first thought is to carefully clean the box probe and try again. As for a test of the box probe, all I can come up with is stationing a remote probe as close as possible to the box probe and see if they agree or not; just be sure that the remote is accurate for boiling water at your altitude above sea level.  It is not 212 degrees everywhere. Second thought is that the wood caught fire and the temp shot high. Other than that I would send Steve an email. Copy and paste your post and see what he has to say.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 10:46:36 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

oldfogey

Re: Box Temperature Display Erratic
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 09:01:49 AM »
Thanks for the reply David. I did clean the box probe before running the P2 program. Since I was smoking bacon the wood was split into small pieces, but the element never got hot enough to even singe the wood. I will take your advice and email Steve.
Charles from Ohio
SI 3.5D
Dyna-Glo Dual Zone Stainless Charcoal Grill, X-Large
Chefman Sous Vide Immersion Circulator