Author Topic: Improved Burning  (Read 1804 times)

Ken

• Model 2wifi
Improved Burning
« on: July 12, 2022, 04:32:08 PM »
I’ve read many ways to use foil to prevent fire.  I started to use this simple method for my Model 2 WiFi.  Just a simple rectangle of foil over a chip screen.  This was a test at 250 for the entire three hours.  The wood was SI white oak.  The foil can be used more than once for added simplicity.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Improved Burning
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 06:54:58 PM »
Did you take notice of how long the smoke lasted compared to no foil?  Just curious
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 07:08:46 PM »
No.  The process wasn't that sophisticated.  I just tried it and it worked.  Then I did it a few more times and got good results.  Maybe the type of wood makes a difference.  Smoke starts at about the same time and chips worked better too.  I decided to give the unit a cleaning and did a normal seasoning like it was a new smoker.  After it cooled, I checked the wood and took the photo as it was such a clean burn. I don't know how it would work without the chip screen. 

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 03:18:02 AM »
I think the 2 series is much easier than the 3 series due to the lower wattage element.  On my 3DW I've actually programmed it to only do 80% power to the element and still ramp the initial temperature for ~15-20 minutes.  That, along with foil over the chip screen, seems to do the trick.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

lcdearman

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 07:49:26 AM »
Before I added the external Auber and started doing a ramp on my #2, I put a single layer of heavy duty foil under the chip screen and the wood was always charcoal.

With the Auber and a 30 minute ramp to 150*, I had to remove the foil and the chip screen.
Clay from Taylor, TX
SI #2 with Auber AW-ST1510H-W
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 12:53:32 PM »
I use to have a Model 1.  The difference in elements is very real.  I had virtually no issues with the wood catching fire.  Nice charcoal was the norm.  I did use a chip screen which I think is important.