Author Topic: Christmas TurkIES Help Needed  (Read 1063 times)

dmark

Christmas TurkIES Help Needed
« on: December 12, 2021, 05:52:16 PM »
I have a 3D and am planning to smoke 2 - 14lb turkey's simultaneously.  I have stainless steel turkey stands.  What are your suggestions and lessons learned from doing that much all at once?  Thanks in advance.

barelfly

Re: Christmas TurkIES Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 09:56:42 PM »
I would spatchcock both birds. I would think this would work much better and fit in the smoker easier. You also get the benefits of even cooking and if needed, would be easier to rotate the racks mid way (only if needed).

I have a 12lb bird that I’ll be smoking in the next few weeks, and that is my plan.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

dmark

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 06:15:17 PM »
As I understand it, spatchcocking means the birds are essentially cut in 1/2.  The halves are then laid on the racks and smoked.  I'm guessing that this would require 4 racks as both halves wouldn't fit easily on 1 rack.  The 3D has enough racking space. 

Quite frankly, that's a new idea to both my wife and me and we are hesitant to do this with company coming.

What are the downsides of smoking the turkeys mounted vertically on a stand?  I did this with chicken with great results. 

Very interested.

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 06:53:26 PM »
Spatchcocking is just removing the backbone and laying the whole turkey flat, so only need two racks. Here’s a video from a site I reference and visit often when it comes to technique and recipes. The author of this article has a book called “The Food Lab” that is also great!

https://www.seriouseats.com/butterfiled-roast-turkey-with-gravy-recipe

I have not cooked whole chicken or turkey in the Smokin-it. Only turkey pieces like legs and bone-in breasts. And the whole chicken’s I’ve recently done have been on my Weber Kettle, spatchcocked as well.

But, either way, go with what you think is going to give you what you are hoping for.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear