Author Topic: Getting Started  (Read 5874 times)

chizotz

Getting Started
« on: July 21, 2013, 07:38:44 PM »
OK, I'll try to make this short. But be warned, I'm not usually good at that :)

I'm just getting into smoking meat, although I've wanted to for a couple of years.

I bought the smoking rack for our CharBroil Patio Bistro electric grill (wife's choice, long story). It was a disaster. The thing can't seem to keep a constant temp, whether by design or ours is already broken I don't know. I wanted to dip my toes in before jumping into the deep end and spending money on a real honest-to-goodness smoker.

So... I know there are about a billion choices, I'm trying to narrow it down a bit: what smoker should I buy?

Here's some info I think might be relevant. We're two adults with a 6-year old. We don't need to cook a lot of food at a time. We don't usually have parties or host family events, as we live a couple of hundred miles from the bulk of our families and both my wife and I are rather reclusive (our son is the extrovert, friend-maker, and party guy, lol). I'm looking to get my feet wet, at this point, and the cheaper the better -- as long as it's also quality. I'd rather spend a bit more on something I might want to use for a few years than have price be the deciding factor, decide I really love it and want to do it very regularly (as I believe I will, but just don't know for sure yet), and just be spending more on another, better, unit 6 months from now. I believe my preference is charcoal, but I'm open to advice on that point. I want something that is very easy and reliable to use and learn with.

i don't know, maybe that's a tall order. Small(ish), easy and reliable, good to learn on but also good enough for at least a few years use, and not a budget-buster.

Any advice is appreciated. Including educating me on what I _should_ be thinking about instead of what I actually am :)

Thanks in advance.

Ron

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 08:00:09 PM »
Let's start with the last bit first ...

First, you've got to decide what experience you want to have.  "Stick burners" are traditional smokers that utilize wood ... they produce great flavor and are what most people think of when they think of smoking meat; however, you do need to babysit these smokes to reload the fire and the temps do see some issues (especially when faced with varying environmental conditions.

Gas smokers are very user friendly but, like a gas grill, I find they sometimes lend a slightly "off" flavor to the smoked product ... also, since they rely on propane bottles there's nothing more frustrating than running out of fuel mid-smoke.

Pellet smokers are very useful (ex:  the Traeger grills) but do have some quirks; moving parts (like the auger that loads the pellets) or the computer control boards have an opportunity to fail that you wouldn't find with offset stick burners or most gas smokers.

Electric smokers run the gamut from the kettle style with a simple heating element and water pan (less than $100) to the cabinet style Smokin-Its, Cookshacks, and SmokinTex models.  The Smokin-Its use a simple heating element and a rheostat temp control providing relatively stable temps and very few things to break.  The Cookshacks often use computer control systems for very stable temps at a significantly higher price and the minor risk of electronic failure.

Most of us here craved the consistency and ease of use provided by Smokin-It models and these stand as a quality product at an extraordinarily competitive price point compared to its competitors.  You won't get the smoke ring that many crave but you'll rarely have a dried out final product due to the incredible stable sealed environment that this design offers.

As far as which Smokin-It is best for you, I'd always recommend getting the largest you can reasonably afford (I'm single and usually cook for two or small groups, but there are times I've loaded my #3 to the gills for large cookouts).  I'd recommend the #2 based on your post, though the #1 would treat you right as well so long as you don't foresee any bulk cooking.

I've had traditional offset smokers and cheap electrics prior to my investment in the #3; it is a wonderful compliment to my propane grill as well as my charcoal kettle style.  I can say without reservation that if you purchase a Smokin-It you'll see an ease of use and quality of final product that few can hope to achieve.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 08:17:46 PM »
Ron,

Welcome to the site and to the forum.

Prowl around, settle in and enjoy.

Check out the comments/posts on each model; I would think the model 1 would be perfect, the model 2 just in case the extroverted son has friends over. One thing to keep in mind is that you can always smoke less in a larger unit but never more in a smaller unit. 

Look at each model, your budget, and talk it over with your wife. I don't think you will find more smoker for the money than a Smokin-it. And this is a friendly crowd so you can expect help all along the way before and after your purchase with hints, tips, advice, and maybe even a story or two.

Again, welcome!

DAve
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 08:21:34 AM »
Hi Ron, and welcome to the forums!   I purchased a smokin-it #2 back in January, and usually do smoke something every weekend.   Like you, I spent a lot of time looking around and debating between a stick burner, gas, or electric.   I finally settled on electric because I doubted that I would have the patience to baby sit a stick burner for hours on end to maintain temps.    Of the electric models, I wanted one that wood burn wood chunks as well as chips, which eliminated some other electric models.    I eliminated the propane models because I was not sure if they would be safe to use on a wood deck.

I usually cook for two to four people and the #2 provides ample space to accommodate my needs.  The #2 comes with 4 racks, but since January I have been able to get by with just 3 of the racks.   I have smoked 30 or so wings, and I can easily get 3 racks of babybacks (for larger parties) on the 3 racks.   The #2 has also handled 2 5lb chickens side by side, as well as a 13lb turkey on another weekend.   While I believe a #1 might suit your needs, I agree with sarge that you can always smoke less in a #2 but not more in #1.  So, my recommendation is a #2 if the budget allows.

I also highly recommend that you look around at the various discussion boards here...we have some nice folks that have posted a wealth of good information.

Let us know what you decide!  Happy smok'in!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 10:51:12 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to reach out to our little gang, Ron!  I can see that you're someone who makes an analytical decision about your purchases.  Just the fact that you found Smokin-It smokers is a good achievement!  I was pretty much in your same shoes, and it took me a long time to find our smokers.  I hadn't made a purchase for a true "smoker" because I just couldn't get excited about what most of the market offers. 

Stick burners:  Way too maintenance-intensive.  Yes, you'd fit in with the crew from Pit Masters, but who has time for that when you just want some good Q?

Propane:  Joe said it best...propane bottles are a pain, and better left to the gas grill for some steaks and burgers.

Pellet:  I'd love to have a Traeger (a buddy of mine has one), but way too many moving parts for my taste.  Smokeasaurus will most likely convince you otherwise - watch out! :D

Electric:  Like I said, I shopped electrics for a long time before finding Smokin-It, but once I found them, it didn't take long to make a decision!  I own a #1 (like you - me, wife, one kiddo), and it's a good unit.  As I've said before on here - I love the #1, but regret not going with a larger one.  With a #1, you have to cut a brisket in half, can only do one large Boston butt at a time, and 1 1/2 racks of ribs. 

You can't go wrong with Smokin-It smokers!  The results are incredible, and they are very well-built!  Bottom line - go with the largest size you can afford.  You can always smoke a little in a large unit, but (take it from me) can only smoke a little in a small one!  I regret not getting at least a #2, but really a #3.

Let us know if you decide!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 07:07:05 PM »
Ever make a decision, chisotz?  Just wondering if you're still out there...
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!