Author Topic: Some meatloaf!  (Read 1719 times)

barelfly

Some meatloaf!
« on: December 16, 2020, 09:11:42 AM »
In my years of life, meatloaf is something I grew up eating and we occasionally eat here at home. My son loves it with what he calls my wife’s grey gravy (although last night it was perfectly creamy white!). But something we have never tried is smoked meatloaf. I read a few threads here and on the interwebs and asked my wife for her tips on how she makes her meatloaf. We came up with two loaves using turkey, veal and pork (I ran our of beef from green chile and bolognese I made this weekend). Added in some things, mixed, shaped and into the freezer for a little over an hour. Before they went into the 3D, I wrapped with bacon and then into the smoker with a ramp to 175 for 30 minutes then to 275 until they reached 160 internal.

I must say these were really good. The smaller loaf was brushed with Blues Hog Original BBQ about 30 minutes prior to finish and really is good! The other we served as is with mash taters and gravy. Perfect amount of smoke, good bacon and meatloaf flavor.

Will have to do this again!

Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

lcdearman

Re: Some meatloaf!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 10:28:39 AM »
Wow that looks good. I'm gonna have to give meatloaf a try!
Clay from Taylor, TX
SI #2 with Auber AW-ST1510H-W
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker

OldeSmoker

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 10:44:25 AM »
I have been wanting to try this. Yours looks great! Thanks for the inspiration and for sharing.
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 10:51:42 AM »
Meatloaf is always a crowd pleaser. And it makes for great sandwiches the day after.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

lcdearman

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 11:44:36 AM »
What kind of wood did you use and how much?
Clay from Taylor, TX
SI #2 with Auber AW-ST1510H-W
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker

barelfly

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 03:27:03 PM »
Thanks for the comments!

@Icdearman - I used 2.0 oz of Cherry wood (Smokinlicious if that matters), I had read a few posts here where others said 3oz was too much, and i realize smoke amount is personal preference, but I didn’t want to over do it first time. I think it could have had a bit more smoke for me. I may try again and go 3oz, and do one with bacon and another without because the bacon had all the smoke, so I’d like to see the loaf get some smoke as well.

@old sarge - how do you go about your sandwich? That is what is for dinner tonight, but I don’t really know how to dress them? Any thoughts on how you do next day sandwiches?
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

barelfly

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 11:37:39 PM »
Made some meatloaf sandwiches for dinner tonight. No pics, but took thin slices of the sauced loaf and added to a skillet with a little butter to heat up and brown a bit. Added some bread with a little mayo on the outside for browning, made the sandwich and added a spoonful of the Blues Hog Original.

Wow! I think I may have liked the sandwich even better! Really good!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

mike1910

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 05:32:25 AM »
Looks fantastic! Nice work, Jeremy. Smoked Meatloaf has become one of the wife’s favorite in our house. I do an all beef with wild rice and high temp cheddar wrapped in bacon. And I must agree, the sandwiches the next day are darn near even better. I’ve done mine on the panini press with some quality bread and a little more melted cheddar to hold it all together. Certainly not a day you want to be counting calories but they are good! I might have to give your method a try, sure looks like a complete success!
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3