Author Topic: Help from Texas?!?  (Read 9865 times)

Spresso

Help from Texas?!?
« on: July 14, 2013, 09:57:07 PM »
Hi Guys,
i think there are a few of you here from Texas,
My cousin is coming for a visit (she is a highfalutin chef) some time in teh future and she requested smoked brisket Central Texas style.   
Now, I think that would be a very simple Salt and crushed black pepper rub. right???
Any particular amounts used?

she also requested some dipping sauce on the side....  Is there a Texas style dipping sauce you guys have a recipe for by any chance?

Any help would be appreciated.
Zed
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: Help from Texas?!?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 11:29:59 PM »
Here's a pretty close approximation to what you'd find at Kreuz or Smitty's in Lockhart:

1/2 cup kosher salt
3 tbsp coarse ground black pepper
2 tsp cayenne pepper

Others add some sugar, paprika, etc. but this is the German/Czech style that established Hill Country smoking since way back. 

Here's the recipe I lifted off my butcher (he's descended from Germans whole settled in a little place called Round Top in that area).  Just a note:  Kreuz and a ton of other places in Texas Hill Country refuse to serve sauces, though other icons like Salt Lick will do so.  This is pretty reflective of the norm for local joints that offer sauce on the side ... note, this is a reasonably thin sauce so be sure this is what she's looking for:

1 cup flat beer (lager or light beer)
1 cup tomato paste
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp rendered beef fat (can substitute bacon fat)
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp cayenne pepper

Mix beer, lemon juice, vinegar and tomato paste with a whisk or a few pulses in a blender until very smooth.  Add remaining ingredients.  Bring to a slow boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.  Cool and refrigerate.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 11:35:37 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

UWFSAE

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 11:37:46 PM »
Just a word about the sauce above ... I made it once and found a little thin and sharp for my tastes (I like sweeter sauces, typically) and I never got around to playing with it to make it my own.  My butcher, Mr. Daniels, does smoke briskets and turkeys for holidays and Superbowl parties on the side and he's in demand so it's pretty popular.
Joe from Houston, TX

Spresso

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 07:00:19 AM »
Totally awesome, thank you!
No,  this is exactly what I was looking for. The sauce is different to what I normally make and sounds delicious.  Normally I also make things sweeter especially for pork but tone it down for beef.  IE the rubs I make have half or less than half the sugar content for beef cuts than for pork....
Thanks for the background on your butcher  ;D
Our family heritage is largely German as well with a few others mixed in and we always lament the fact that is is very hard to find old traditional german type of butchering of hogs like Mangalitsa. I think here in NA we kind of fell in love of the belt saw as opposed to sharp knives and cleavers.  ;D  Perfect for ribs but I still miss some more traditional cuts you can get in Europe.
Thanks again!
I think she'll like both. 
One question though.   Traditionally you guys use oak for the wood, right?
Smokin-It-all on the #3

UWFSAE

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 12:16:50 PM »
Yeah, post oak and red oak are very popular in this region, as is pecan since there is an abundance of pecan groves in that area.

Mmmmmm ... Mangalitsa pork ... there's a gourmet butcher/organic market in an area of Houston called the Heights that also co-owns a Mangalitsa hog farm and that pork is amazing with regard to flavor and fat marbling.   I can usually find some Berkshire pork (another heritage breed) locally and online sites like Lobel's and Snake River Farms will ship for a premium price.  Berkshire pork chops are a thing of beauty ...  :)
Joe from Houston, TX

Spresso

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 05:03:13 PM »
Hehe,  I used to love everything about Mangalitsa, except one thing.  Cleaning their pen. As a 10-14 yr old I was often tasked with that chore... :'(
Growing up in an area of Europe behind the iron curtain, most people had to do whatever to keep alive as portions were scarce. 
Luckily we lived in a mostly  German inhabited area with a fairly large "backyard".  MOst people grew whatever animals they liked.  We lived next door to my grandparents so we had a sizable yard.
We had 3-4 pigs every year, chickens, 35-40 rabbits, ducks, some turkey.....
I learned to appreciate different cuts of meat. Especially duck liver from ducks my grandma raised. They always lined up to be force fed.....
Of course we all made our obligatory sausages, salamis, ham,  storing them in the attic after smoking them using Beech. Never heard of nitrates either  ;D 
Some of these things I remember fondly,  others less so LOL.

Thanks again for the tip.  I may go with pecan as I really like that
Smokin-It-all on the #3

UWFSAE

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 06:22:04 PM »
No worries ... I think pecan or mesquite are killer for brisket but oak will definitely do you right.  I'm a big fan of experimenting with woods so go crazy.  If your cousin is trying to create a "Taste of Texas" menu I'd stick with oak or pecan ... mesquite is popular but regionally inaccurate if she's going for the Hill Country style.

Oh ... and try to convince her that service should be on butcher paper and no utensils save a few slices of white bread; that's REAL Texas BBQ.   ;)
Joe from Houston, TX

Spresso

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 05:13:51 PM »
Pecan it is then!  ;)
And I'm going out to get some butcher paper too  ;D
But she is not coming yet so I have time.,....
Smokin-It-all on the #3

UWFSAE

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 05:42:31 PM »
If you're doing sides, go with pinto or BBQ beans (not traditional baked beans) or even some German potato salad (I've got a killer recipe for that handed down on my Mom's side of the family).
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 10:04:04 PM »
Wow guys, that's a great exchange!  I've been out of pocket for a couple of days (family in town), and I'm sorry I missed this thread!  Zed and Joe both had great info, and I feel I know you both better now!

All of it is spot-on!  I've spent a lot of time in Texas (in the Air Force), and definitely agree about Joe's wood recommendations for the hill country.  When I was in west Texas (mostly Abilene and San Angelo), I found you'd be hard-pressed to find anything other than mesquite!  Amazing thing about Texas - it's so stinkin' big, it's like traveling and experiencing the tastes & cultures of several European countries, all in one state! 

I think we should start a section devoted to Texas BBQ!  Bet it would get a ton of unique recipes!

Thanks y'all - another reason I love this forum!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Spresso

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 11:04:56 PM »
Joe,  the German potato salad idea sounds good.... it would be great if you could post your secret recipe  ;)
Maybe start another thread in the Everything Else section?/   just a suggestion..... you can post it here too... :D
Smokin-It-all on the #3

Spresso

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 11:21:14 PM »

I think we should start a section devoted to Texas BBQ!  Bet it would get a ton of unique recipes!

Thanks y'all - another reason I love this forum!

Toni that is a great idea, starting regional threads or other cultural type threads.

One thing I love about Canada is the myriad of cultures in such a small place.
OK that didn't come out well.  ;D
Small as in: the proliferation of many different cultures in any medium sized town.
I love going to Korean, Thai, Japanese, Mexican, Southern US, Hungarian, German, Austrian, Brazilian, Vietnamese etc... restaurants, and all within 10 miles of radius.

And Yeah,  I just recently started reading, participating in this forum, but I got to like it more than most others I have frequented.
Funny, in the beginning before I bought the #3 I thought to myself why would anyone participate in ANOTHER forum when there are so many out there?
What do you know?????
Smokin-It-all on the #3

UWFSAE

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 11:42:02 PM »
No worries, I'll post the German potato salad recipe ... here's the ranch style beans recipe I make and it's a modern interpretation of traditional Texas BBQ beans:  http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=755.0

I'm away from the casa tonight but I'll be back home tomorrow and dig up that potato salad for you ...
Joe from Houston, TX

Spresso

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 11:48:11 PM »
Thanks!!!
No rush at all....
Smokin-It-all on the #3

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 07:49:35 PM »
Great idea, Zed!  I was thinking of Texas as a region of it's own (so many different areas in one state), but more regional sections would be incredible!  I would love to see sections on the Carolinas, Georgia, Mississippi, Memphis, Kansas City, St Louis, California, and heck, how about Canadian? - to name a few off the top of my head.  I'm sure there's lots more recommendations out there for Ben to set up!  ;D   This would be a great way to sort sauces and rubs, too!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!