Author Topic: 1st try ground jerky big fail  (Read 1866 times)

PhilH

1st try ground jerky big fail
« on: August 23, 2020, 09:52:52 PM »
sharing so no one else makes this mistake.

i had 10 lbs of stew meat taking up space in the freezer so i thought i would try to make ground jerky with it.

well rather than use a prepared seasoning, i made up my own recipe, i wanted to make A-1 Steak Sauce Flavored jerky because my wife likes it, well i ended up putting 3 Tbl of a-1, 1 Tbl soy, and 1 Tbl worcestershire sauce per lb of meat.  apparently adding too much liquid to ground jerky really doesn’t work. it never got sticky no matter how long i mixed it.

i later read that 2 Tbl is the max liquid per lb, but i’m thinking even that might be too much. 

i also bought a ground jerky attachment for my stuffer from walton’s inc, that has tons of great reviews, and Pork Belly already advised against it, and i didn’t listen. 

it works ok, but for $40 worth of plastic, it’s really not worth it, and you also have to dirty up your stuffer to use it. 

i will be using only packaged seasonings, for jerky and snack sticks i till i perfect my technique, which might be a while from now.

my dog is super happy that i screwed up the jerky.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 10:01:18 PM by PhilH »
Phillip   Ramsey MN

Lonzinomaker

Re: 1st try ground jerky big fail
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 10:11:30 PM »
I found some powdered Worchestershire sauce on Amazon that works well. Kind of trial and error to get the right amount in place of the liquid.
I also don't bother with jerkey tube or gun. Instead I roll the mixed meat out into a 1/4 in thick slab about 2 thirds the size of my smoker grates. I put that on a frog mat so it doesn't stick. Smoke and dry as usual and when done I use a pizza wheel cutter to cut meat into a 1 1/2 in wide strip. Jerkyholic has a how to recipe for this.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

PhilH

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 10:56:13 PM »
hey thanks, that is really helpful, deciding if i want to get a jerky gun, (if) walton’s inc takes the jerky attachment back that i bought. 

what is a frog mat?  i have silicon mats for baking, i’m thinking if i put it in the smoker it would have to be only used for that from then on.

i also bought the cold smoker, but will save that review for when i actually make something good with it.
Phillip   Ramsey MN

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 11:51:35 AM »
SEarch Amazon for BBQ grill mats. They are a fiberglass mesh coated with silicone.  Easy to cut to fit.  They are washable and last a long time.  Really great for smoking fish and ground meat jerky.
This is a link to some that I bought (there is even a $2 discount right now if you check the box on the page): 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073XD9W9D/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_Ce-qFb2AWDW2K
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 11:54:11 AM by Lonzinomaker »
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 02:19:59 PM »
So you did 5 TBl of liquid for every pound? 50 TBL =that's nearly 3 1/8 cups, so yea that's pretty wet.

Had you added Cure #1 @1 tsp for 5 lbs of raw meat it would have protected you against botulism and  help make the mix sticky.

Send that thing back to Waltons, let them know you are disappointed. At the least you will get a credit.
The few times we did ground we used a Jerky Cannon, It was not super fast but it made good product.

Your liquid mix would make a good marinade for whole muscle slices, just add the cure.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

PhilH

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 02:58:50 PM »
I used cure #1, i didn't list the whole recipe. 

I purchased some AC Leggs Teriyaki seasoning. 
I am going to try that next with whole muscle, and use your 100F temp plan, with the Bella i just got.

i already emailed walton’s about sending back the jerky thing, haven’t heard from them yet.
Phillip   Ramsey MN

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 10:50:57 AM »
I used Leggs stuff for the first time this year. Great flavor and results, but a fantastic price. I did Salami as snack sticks and the #10 Breakfast sausage in a 5-/50 Venison/Pork blend
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud