Author Topic: Pork loin chops!  (Read 5481 times)

bigboy74

Pork loin chops!
« on: July 10, 2013, 02:18:06 AM »
I went in to my local market and bought a pork loin on sale, got the butcher to cut half up in to chops and the other half whole to smoke. I have always loved grilled chops, but I got to thinking about doing them a different this time. What I was pondering is smoking the chops till they get to about 130 degrees and pulling them and sear them on a hot grill for a minute on each side. Just wanted to bat the idea off of other people. All input is welcome!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: Pork loin chops!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 02:29:28 AM »
The process is sound but I'd let them go a bit longer or shorter depending on thickness of the chops.  Are you brining or marinating them prior to smoking?  If it's me, and the cuts are 1" or less I'd say your plan makes sense (direct high heat on the grill, only one turn).  If they're thicker than 1" I might butterfly them and follow the same process.

Are you shooting for a final internal temp of 150?
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
I saw this recipe on smoking-meat.com recently, and can't wait to try it!

http://www.smoking-meat.com/may-16-2013-smoked-pork-chops-extra-thick

It combines a simple brine, smoke (2 hours for 1 1/2" chops to 150), and rest.  They look fantastic!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

bigboy74

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 12:04:54 AM »
I forgot to show the finished product! Better late than never.

UWFSAE

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 12:10:32 AM »
Very nice ... just enough of a fat layer to provide a little flavor.  Something to try next time with this process is to preheat a cast iron skillet or griddle over high heat on the grill and then quick sear the chops to provide a little more color and texture.  I do find that there is a big taste difference between this method vs. conventional grill grates.  More contact = more flavor?

I'd call that an unqualified success ... well played, Big.
Joe from Houston, TX

bigboy74

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 12:00:28 PM »
I didn't think about using a cast iron skillet. That's a great idea ill have to find me a cast iron skillet. I have one but only use it for corn bread.

Thanks Joe

UWFSAE

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
If you're going to buy a skillet, I'd definitely recommend a Lodge pre-seasoned piece; Amazon carries a wide variety of them at a competitive price.  I inherited a 12" skillet and 12" grill pan from Lodge and have added pieces over the years, including several of their fajita pans; they cook AMAZINGLY well ... sometimes the old tech is actually better than the new tech.
Joe from Houston, TX

smokeasaurus

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 08:20:40 AM »
I like to buy a pork butt and have the butcher cut it into steaks. You will never do loin chops again...and will you ever have a dried out chop again either.............

UWFSAE

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 01:06:38 PM »
Smoke, if you can get some Berkshire or Mangalitsa chops they are definitely worth it; their marbling is vastly superior to the pork chops we buy at grocery stores ...

I'd also put in another recommendation for using bone-in country-style ribs ... soooooo much flavor.
Joe from Houston, TX