Author Topic: Probe question  (Read 2491 times)

Dawn Weaver

Probe question
« on: December 18, 2021, 07:52:55 PM »
Just got our 2d and I have a question. If the PID has a temp probe why do I have 2 others. i know one (p2) is the meat probe but the other (p3) say internal temp prob. Why do I need that if the PID has one?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Probe question
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2021, 12:36:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum from SE Arizona.   You have a box probe integrated into the smoker that will regulate the smoker temp via the PID.  The other two probes are for meat internal temp.  However, only one of them can trigger the PID to reduce the box temp to go into a keep warm setting or turn off the smoker when the meat reaches your set point for internal temperature.   The other meat probe will simply tell you what the internal temp is.  So, if you have two large pieces of meat, both probes will keep you informed of their internal temp. You choose which one will trigger a keep warm or shut down. It is very handy to have an instant read thermometer on hand to double check temps of BOTH pieces of meat when the PID shows that the IT has been reached. If you are only smoking one item, like a butt or brisket or whole poultry, you only need one probe for monitoring the internal temp.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 12:57:43 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives