Author Topic: Ready to pull the trigger!  (Read 9554 times)

sdaniels

Ready to pull the trigger!
« on: July 06, 2013, 05:04:32 PM »
OK, so I've been patiently collecting my pennies and I now have enough to purchase either the #1 or the #2  ;D  Problem is, I can't seem to decide which way to go.  If I get the #1 I could get some extras, but if I get the #2 there wouldn't be any money left.  Surely somebody out there was in the same boat as me at some point?  Are there any holidays or dates where extras may be included with the order as a bonus?

Thanks!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: Ready to pull the trigger!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 05:30:18 PM »
I was down between the #2 (with cart, cover, cord hanger, rib hooks, and water pan) vs. the #3 (with cover, cord hanger, and water pan) and decided to forgo the cart and go with the larger smoker.  Accessories can always be added at a later date but you can't add "size".

I have seen Steve offer some accessories gratis as incentives for purchase, and there is an email registration which will sign you up for notification on these types of specials.

I know this isn't the info that may clinch the deal for you but I'd absolutely recommend the #2 for your big splurge.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

sdaniels

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 05:44:35 PM »
Thanks, good point about adding size vs accessories.  My dad has a #1 and he loves it but I have to admit I was a little surprised at the size of it the first time I saw it.  Guess I'm leaning towards the #2 - we don't get Texas sized briskets in KC but they are nothing to sneeze at either  :)

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 06:03:29 PM »
sdaniels, either way you won't regret the purchase of your Smokin-It smoker.

I have the #1 and I have no regrets but most of the time it's just me and the wife.  I went with the #1 not only for the lower initial cost bit the lower operating cost also. I'd say if you cook for more than 3 or 4 on a regular basis go with the #2.
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 06:09:08 PM »
It never hurts to have the extra size for those times when you need it. Since these are electric it is not like you will be paying more fuel like if you got a huge stick burner...go bigger, cry once, be happy with your purchase for years to come  ;)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 07:46:21 PM »
Great advice here!  I went with the #1 due to cost, and this being a totally new concept for me (electric smoker).  I have a bad personality flaw that comes out when I get ready to purchase a new piece of equipment:  The "best" is barely "good enough!"  I restrained that flaw, this time, and went with the #1.  It's a great smoker, but I feel restricted by the internal dimensions.  If I had it to do over, I would have gone with at least a #2, but probably a #3!  Everyone's right about adding accessories later, but you're stuck with the size.  Forget the extras up front and go with the biggest size you can afford.  Just my 2-cents...
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

sdaniels

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 04:31:55 PM »
Just placed my order for the #2!!!  Anyone know if it's FedEx Home Delivery or regular FedEx Ground?

;D ;D ;D

UWFSAE

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 04:50:30 PM »
My shipment was via FedEx ground.  The thing weighted a freakin' ton so I helped the FedEx driver get it up some steps to the patio.  The packaging can withstand a tactical nuke and will definitely protect your smoker for it's trip.

The good news is once they ship it's just a matter of days ... you'll likely have it in plenty of time to season and run your first smoke session next weekend.  Congrats on the purchase, sdaniels!
Joe from Houston, TX

sdaniels

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 11:23:08 AM »
So for seasoning I'm assuming all parts are out (rails/racks) and I don't foil the firebox lid or the bottom (until the first real smoke)?  Just wanted to be sure as I'm about to pick up some commercial HD aluminum foil at Costco.

UWFSAE

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 11:46:58 AM »
It is useful to remove everything to help build that creosote barrier, but be warned that it will make the floor of the smoker very "sticky" with regard to removing your foil lining for a few smokes.  I did clean up the inside of my smoker to remove the particulate cardboard and styrofoam debris, then applied a very light coating of peanut oil with a dish towel to all parts of the interior surface prior to the seasoning.

The heavy duty foil is a definite "must" and I actually use two sizes ... the wider size to cover the bottom of the smoker with a contiguous sheet and the more narrow/standard size to cover the smoker box without excessive waste.  While you're at Costco, you may want to grab some stainless steel cleaner (for the smoker exterior) and a food-safe degreaser (for cleaning the racks).

Joe from Houston, TX

sdaniels

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 11:51:29 AM »
Thanks, I remember reading other posts here about not pressing the foil down too much on the bottom because of that.  Did you just use a damp rag to clean it out?  Would Canola oil suffice?

Thin Blue

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 12:00:52 PM »
I left the racks and rails in for four hours, at 350d to break in / season.
I used two of the Hickory dowels that came with the #3 and did not use any foil.

Welcome aboard. Post how things go.   :)
Have: Tejas stick burner roll top and a Smokin-it #3 w/ Auber

Had: Brinkmann vertical charcoal, wore out; Old Smoky, not to my liking sold; Brinkmann Pro offset, gave to friend;  Sams Club propane smoker, junk, returned to SAMs; 2 Brinkmann vertical electric, wore out.

es1025

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 12:48:03 PM »
You bought an excellent smoker. In the box you will have the initial seasoning instructions, follow them to the letter of the law. Definitely buy HD foil and foil trays while you are at Costco. I would also recommend a dual probe thermometer. The maverick et-732 is a good one. Also, listen to the folks on the forum they provide great insight. Happy smoking.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 07:29:00 PM »
Welcome to the party!  I seasoned mine by not foiling anything, left the rails in, but not the shelves, and used 3 chunks of hickory dowels for 4 hours.  I was amazed at how quickly the creosote coating built up with just one smoke!  The inside went from an oily machine-shop smell to the wonderful aroma of hickory in just four short hours!  I didn't season the shelves - didn't see much point.  I spray them with Pam before each cook, and have never had a problem with sticking.  Makes cleaning easier, too!

Visit often, and let us know how the first cook goes!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 08:59:16 AM »
All good points above.   I purchased a #2 back in January and usually smoke something every weekend.  I am very sure that you will be happy with this unit!

For seasoning, you won't need the HD foil since you have no meat in the smoker.  I don't recall if I left the side racks in the smoker, but my guess is that I did not.   The seasoning process is for the box more so that the racks.

On the first couple of smokes, you may have some stickiness when you remove the foil, so I suggest not pressing the foil down hard on the bottom of the #2, but rather lay it in gently -- and be sure to punch a hole in the foil where the opening is located on the bottom so the juices can run out to the drip pan (I always worry that I am going to forget that step!).   When I am finished smoking, the foil lifts right out.

I like the idea of the 2 sizes of HD foil - - it is a waste to use a large sheet of foil on the smoke box!

Welcome to smokin-it, and happy smoking!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2