Author Topic: External Smoke Generator - What's your thoughts  (Read 45774 times)

BHamel

• Administrator
External Smoke Generator - What's your thoughts
« on: February 13, 2019, 08:25:55 PM »
We at Smokin-It are thinking about selling an external smoke generator.  This would be able to connect to the smoker and provide smoke for cold smoking without the need for a cold smoke plate.  It could also be used in conjunction with the heating element for regular smoking as well.  It could be connected when needed and easily stored when not.  Let us know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Ben
Smokin-It IT Guy!
Ben from Ohio
Smokin-it IT guy!
Owner of a Model #3
If you can't smoke it!  You shouldn't be eating it!!

Lonzinomaker

Re: External Smoke Generator - What's your thoughts
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 08:36:19 PM »
If it is a re-badged smoke-daddy, I wouldn't be interested.
A requirement for me would be ability to have smoke for at least 6 hours without intervention.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 10:05:55 PM »
Maybe?  I've been a little reluctant to pick up a third party one because I don't want to have to find/stock whatever fuel it also requires.  So... if you start stocking one then you need to either stock fuel, too, or have a partnership with someplace that has it to keep it super easy.  Honestly, setting up some kind of relationship with Smokinlicious, Fruita Wood, and/or Bob's Smokin Hardwood could be a pretty good setup.

Otherwise, something that doesn't require that I remove the existing smoke box would be nice. 

------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 11:26:56 PM »
Hi Ben - I have not been bitten by the cold smoking bug.  But something that would be long running and attach easily would probably do well for those that like to cold smoke. If the generator was pumping smoke up through the drain hole or down through the vent no box modification would be needed.  BUT, pumping up through the drain hole would require elevating the smoker on a stand.  Fixing a permanent through wall adapter plate would be convenient if it could be plugged from inside and outside when not in use. I don't think small screws like those used to attach the D controller would be sufficient enough or robust enough.  Here's hoping you get a lot of input from the cold smoking crowd.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Walt

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 09:34:14 AM »
I'm set currently with the Big Kahuna.  I like it quite a lot. Runs on wood chips for 2 to 3 hours between reloads. It stays mounted on the unit even when not in use. Between smokes, the only thing that gets removed is the hose the connects it to the smoker (only pressed into place, no hardware). The only negative is, it requires a propane torch to light and some attention initially to get it rolling. Not a big negative but an electric element might be more convenient for most.

A smoke generator seems like a natural addition to your offerings.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 09:43:11 AM by Walt »
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 09:44:24 AM »
I would be interested to see what "it" would be. I like to smoke my salmon and kokanee low and slow starting at 110 for a couple hours and working the temps up in 20 degree increments to 170 over a period of 6 hours. I use a A-MAZE-N-PELLET-SMOKER(AMNPS) and dust with a jerky fan but keeping it going can be challenging. Will be following...
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!

Limey

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 09:46:56 PM »
My rig is essentially identical to Walt's and I find that it works well. He identified the minor issues with igniting it but it uses whatever wood chips you choose which I think is a big plus.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

Jimeo

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 07:48:48 AM »
Following as well.  Haven’t been bitten by the bug yet either but have the cold smoke plate and have used a few times on salmon and bacon.  Awfully tedious process to use.  Still have a pellet tube smoker in the box to experiment with.  Will be curious to see what you come up with.
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

kona77

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 09:16:23 PM »
 I may have an interest since I am just getting into some cold smoking (bacon, sausage etc.)
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

BHamel

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 08:09:42 AM »
We are developing and testing a generator right now.  Key to the whole thing will be to make it simple and easy to convert an older model.  It may be a while but this forum will get the first pics of the beta version.

Thanks,
Ben
Ben from Ohio
Smokin-it IT guy!
Owner of a Model #3

BHamel

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 08:53:42 AM »
Does anyone have issues with condensation in the pipe with the Big Kahuna?  Also do you see any issues with a square generator vs a round generator?

Thanks,
Ben
Ben from Ohio
Smokin-it IT guy!
Owner of a Model #3

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 10:28:05 AM »
There is a gravity feed pellet stove that is made from square pipe (US Stove Wiseway). I would think you would get a more even burn from a cylinder if you're doing a vertical burn chamber.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 10:42:00 AM »
Does anyone have issues with condensation in the pipe with the Big Kahuna?  Also do you see any issues with a square generator vs a round generator?

Thanks,
Ben

I can see where there might be some condensation issues, as a result of cooling, over a long pipe run before the smoke enters the smoker.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Walt

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 06:05:10 PM »
There is a little condensation that drips.  I try to place the protien away from under the vent or with bacon its skin side up so the drip only stains a piece of the skin.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 01:05:20 PM by Walt »
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Limey

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 09:21:34 PM »
I get quite a lot of condensation with my Big Kahuna-several tablespoons per smoke. My solution was to put a belly in the smoke pipe leading from the BK to the top vent and drain it from time to time. With this setup no condensation enters the smoker.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.