Author Topic: What's in your water pan?  (Read 5466 times)

psoltesz

• Model #1 Owner
What's in your water pan?
« on: June 27, 2013, 02:17:09 PM »
Hi guys,

Wanted to get your take on this topic:  as we all have learned, it helps a lot to have a small pan of water inside the smoker during the cooking process, because it provides extra moisture and protects the meat from drying out.

A lot of forums, recipes, etc. tell you to add something other than water to the pan.  I've seen everything from apple juice to beer to wine to Coca Cola suggested, and I've even tried a few "non water" liquids in the pan myself.  I'm sure many of you have also tried this.

My question is: did it really make a difference?  Because I have largely found that the type of liquid you put in the water pan really doesn't add anything to the finished taste of the meat.  It's a nice thought to think that a good beer or nice wine will steam up under the smoker's heat and provide both moisture and flavor, but I'm just not convinced it actually does anything to enhance the finished product. 

For most of my smokes these days, I just stick with water in the pan, and save the apple juice, etc. for the spraying/basting process (which absolutely does make a difference).

What do you guys think?  Do you really notice a difference when you use beer, wine, or juice in the water pan?

Would love to get some thoughts on this!   :D

- Phil

I'm your huckleberry...

smokeasaurus

Re: What's in your water pan?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 08:34:01 PM »
I cant tell any difference at all. When I do use a water pan, it has water in it. I do use hot water in it. This way it will steam more right around the time the chunks start smoldering.

Water pans are good for stabilizing and keeping temps low in charcoal pits, but probably not as necessary with these types of units..............
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 08:30:21 AM by smokeasaurus »

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 11:49:13 PM »
While water certainly works, I'm a BIG believer in never missing a chance to impart additional flavor.  For example, beer can chicken works on a similar premise and you don't find many saying a can of water is a great flavor enhancer.

Truth be told, one of the primary functions of the water pan is to help stabilize the internal temperature ... oddly enough, a pan of beach sand would work just as well if not better.

It boils down to this:  a flavorful liquid (perhaps a fruit beer like Abita Purple Haze or a nice lager) along with some fresh herbs (whole sprigs of rosemary, fresh dill, lemon grass, etc.) will bathe the meat in an aromatic steam.  If you have concerns with final product moistness, then go big or go home.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 08:13:49 AM »
I used a pan of apple juice in my first couple smokes. Since these smokers are so well built, I don't believe that moisture is a problem and haven't used any liquid since (other than a beer can chicken) and haven't noticed any difference.

I have to believe though, you can add some additional flavor, maybe my palate is not sophisticated enough yet to tell the difference.  :o
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

psoltesz

• Model #1 Owner
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 11:48:30 AM »
While water certainly works, I'm a BIG believer in never missing a chance to impart additional flavor.  For example, beer can chicken works on a similar premise and you don't find many saying a can of water is a great flavor enhancer.

Well, beer can chicken is kind of an exception to the rule, because the fryer is basically mounted around the can of beer.  So that totally makes sense.

I was just wondering if folks noticed a difference when adding various beverages to the water pan.  Looks like we're split on the verdict...so I say, go with what works for you!   ;D

- Phil
I'm your huckleberry...