Author Topic: Advice for this newbie from the pros..  (Read 7838 times)

bmosbacker

Advice for this newbie from the pros..
« on: June 21, 2013, 11:39:17 AM »
Folks, I know this gets asked a thousand times but here is 1001.  :-)  I have never owned a smoker but my very nice wife said I could buy one as my Father's Day gift. :-)

I have read too many reviews. I keep coming back to Smokin-it but because i have no experience with other smokers I am afraid of making a mistake.

I realize this is a "biased" group, after all, you spent good money to buy the Smokin-it!  :-) 

My question, for those of you who have had experience with other smokers, do you recommend Smokin-it? Basically why?

I want a very durable, dependable smoker that will last many years, has good company support, and that does a good job cooking.  I've looked at Masterbilt, Master Forge, Char-boil, Brinkmann, etc...  I has read extensive reviews on AmazingRibs.coms but Smokin-it is lost listed.

Any advice will be very much appreciated!

Thanks for

ultrafirebike

Re: Advice for this newbie from the pros..
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 12:03:20 PM »
Bmo....
I have little or no information for you based on hands on knowledge...but what I have I'll share.

I have been a BBQ/Smoker meat/fish lover since eating smoked fish from the Mississippi in the early 70's and Beef and Pork growing up in the Midwest where a chest freezer full of beef is the norm. I've traveled all over the US trying different varieties and styles and will think nothing of riding my Harley a few thousand miles for a BBQ lunch. I didn't really have a distinction between BBQ and Smoked until a few years ago when I started getting serious about this. I've been looking at styles and methods for smoking for some time now and for me, a good moist cut with good smoke flavor and ease of use was the priority. From what I could gather, Smokin-it is a new player in the game ( as opposed to being around for decades) so previous lists and comparisons are of no use due to the lack of information available for them. I did compare other style of smokers...offset, indirect, upright, self feeders and electric.
I want a set it and forget it style and not have to check and Baby the smoker constantly...so I pulled the trigger on the #3. My initial thoughts as it sits outside and is being seasoned is that the quality is there, it's shipped carefully, quickly and should work as advertised. I will know more in a few weeks but view other posts in the forum and see what they say to hep with your decision.
Ultrafirebike
I will ride anywhere to try BBQ
North America is my local Riding area

bmosbacker

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 12:10:35 PM »
Thank you! Be sure to let me know what you think after a smoke or two. :-)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 12:42:35 PM »
BMO, part of your choice should be your desired experience beyond the food.  For example, if part of what you want is a social activity to invite friends over to hang out while you tend the smoker (analogous to when I have a group over while I'm grilling) then a traditional wood burning smoker would be a great choice.  It is a lot of fun but very labor intensive and produces a more narrow window for accuracy with temp, moisture, etc.

Natural gas smokers are useful and damn near idiot proof, but I do find a stronger "off" taste to smoked meat than you find with gas grills.

Other brands of electric smokers are a mixed bag.  The maxim "you get what you pay for" tends to be quite accurate.  Having cut my teeth with electric smokers like the cheap Brinkmann's that used water pans to stabilize the temps I found them to be a good first choice but somewhat limited in what they can achieve.

I do have friends who use cabinet style smokers from Masterbuilt (I'm not a fan of their build quality) or offset pellet smokers (Traeger are nice but tons of ancillary costs) and they're a mixed bag for multiple reasons.  I've used both Smokin' Tex and Cookshack from my friends and they're great but cost the GDP of a small nation.  Smokin-It offers a nearly identical set of options and produces spot on results yet costs far less than these two very worthy competitors.

I selected the Smokin-It #3 after a ton of research ... it was a leap of faith but one that has been rewarded numerous times over.  While I can't speak for it's ability to smoke fish or cold smoke cheeses, I've used it on beef, pork, chicken, duck, various sausages and "fatties", potatoes and corn, and even some game meats.  The greatest thing about these smokers would be that even the "misses" are still outstanding.  Like any hobby, it is one you'll never perfect but instead be constantly striving for perfection ... I think the Smokin-It is an excellent choice for your first smoker and will likely be your last as well.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 12:47:26 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 03:08:50 PM »
Welcome to the smokin-it forum!   I was ike you back in January when I started thinking about smokers.  Extensive research, watched a lot of youtube videos, trying to decide on the type of smoker.  I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a WSM, but wondered if I would be able to regulate the temps and whether I would have to stand over it for hours on end to monitor the temp.   Finally, I settled on electric, recognizing that as a newbie it might be better to set it and forget it.   I was not interested in pellet smokers, and I really wanted to burn wood chunks rather than chips.    The reviews on most electric smokers were split at best, and like you, I was hesitant to buy something that might work or might not.   When I found the smokin-it reviews, I was very impressed at how everyone was raving about them.  That's when I pulled the trigger and purchased a #2.

I have not been disappointed and I smoke something every weekend!   I believe you will be equally impressed with a smokin-it smoker.   This forum is also a great tool for finding out how others are using their smokers and some tips and tricks along the way.

I think the toughest decision is not whether to buy one, but rather which one!  Good luck with your decision.  Cheers!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 06:07:40 PM »
Let me say up front that if you desire an electric smoker,  you want an all stainless steel unit (inside and outside)  first and foremost.  That eliminates many competitors right off the bat. You want to look at warranties so be sure you do so and if there is something in the warranty you do not understand, question the company.  Now look at the cost of user replacement parts or accessories for the different units. Prices among the different companies varies widely. Also, a long power cord is better than a short cord and extension combination.

As for the Smokin-it line of smokers, they offer the most bang for the buck.  There are two other companies offering all SS smokers, and they have a good reputation and a good loyal following, like Smokin-it has.  A unit with roughly the same capacity as the model 3 will run approximately $1800; one is digital (Cookshack) and the other (SmokinTex) analog. Their respective websites have enthusiasts, and on occasion, a reported problem or two.   I say this only to get you to look at the other units, feature for feature, size for size, dollar for dollar.  Smokin-it comes out on top in every category.

Dig into their forums and you will reach the same conclusion so many others have.  The tough part will be which size Smokin-it you will want.  Keep in mind that you can always smoke less in a large unit but not more in a small unit.

David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

bmosbacker

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 10:08:35 PM »
Thanks everyone for the great advice! I feel much better about making a decision. I plan to purchase the #2 as soon as pay day hits.  :-)  My wife will feel better about spending more on a smoker than she anticipated on Father's Day when there is more money in the bank. :-)

Thanks again, I'm looking forward to my first "smoke."  I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Now, my second big decision ... What to smoke first? :-)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 10:11:55 PM »
I, too, was very "information-saturated" with all the choices of smokers out there.  I considered traditional charcoal/wood offset smokers, but knew I really didn't care for the labor-intensive aspect of a cook with them.  I guess that's fine if you're a competition cooker, but I am not; I just like really good bbq.  I had looked at many of the "big box" store electric smokers, and just couldn't get excited about them.  I also knew that Cookshack and Big Tex models were not in my budget.

...then I just "happened" across Smokin-It while browsing for smokers one day.  I was impressed with the fact that it was built like the $2k smokers, but much more affordable.  I also really liked the fact that it was ALL stainless steel, and had NO plastic or rubber gaskets to wear out.  I had considered a Bradley, and almost bought one, but read a lot of negative reviews about the seals and fires with them.  I immediately got excited about the Smokin-It units when I found virtually NO negative reviews! 

I pulled the trigger and bought a Model 1, almost without hesitation.  My choice was based on a few considerations:
1.  Budget.  $300 seemed ok, but I didn't want to go much more for a total "unknown," especially one that I had never heard of, or seen in a store (not that should lend credibility to it).
2.  Family size.  It's me, my wife and son.  I'm not going to be smoking 50 pounds of meat at a time.
3.  Again, the "unknown." I've never owned an electric smoker, so I was uncertain of how I would like it.

Now that I have it, and have used it, I know I made the right choice on the brand of smoker.  It is extremely well-constructed, and works incredibly well.  My only regret, now, is not getting at least the Model 2.  A #3 would be bbq nirvana, but a #2 would have suited my needs a little better.  I underestimated the interior size of the #1, but couldn't justify another $100 for the #2 - considering the "unknown" factor. 

Bottom line - these are great smokers!  The company is fantastic, and the community of owners here is second to none!  Get the one that you can afford; you won't regret it!  But, definitely get the biggest you can afford.

Oh, and "welcome," in advance, to "the cool kids" club!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 10:15:06 PM »
Thanks everyone for the great advice! I feel much better about making a decision. I plan to purchase the #2 as soon as pay day hits.  :-)  My wife will feel better about spending more on a smoker than she anticipated on Father's Day when there is more money in the bank. :-)

Thanks again, I'm looking forward to my first "smoke."  I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Now, my second big decision ... What to smoke first? :-)

That's awesome!  I might suggest a Boston butt.  Check out my post under "Pork" for details on my first cook!  Best of luck in your choice!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 09:41:12 AM »
Congratulations -- you will be pleased with the #2 (as I am)!   Be sure to season it per instructions when it arrives for about 4 hours or so.   For the first smoke, you might want to try something that takes 4 hours or so, like chicken quarters (3-4 hours) or babyback ribs (5 hours using the 2-2-1 method).   The smoking-meat.com site from Jeff Phillips provides many excellent recipes (the link is on the main page for smoking-it). 
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 12:24:50 PM »
I'll be the first to admit that I went straight for the gold standard on my first smoke:  a rack of St. Louis ribs and a nice whole brisket.  If I had it to do over again I'd probably have doubled down on the ribs and done a completely separate smoke for the brisket as the amount and types of wood are a fun variable to experiment with ...

That being said, for a true newbie, even something as simple as a fatty (or the inimitable Bacon Explosion) are great for a first smoke as they are very low maintenance and delicious when served on biscuits or King's Hawaiian Rolls.

Beyond that, Swthorpe has a point about the shorter smoke ... immediate gratification when breaking the unit in is a rare and wonderful thing!
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!