Author Topic: Patrick Chicken Question  (Read 4601 times)

LtRog

Patrick Chicken Question
« on: June 20, 2013, 12:12:22 AM »
Just got my Model #1, seasoned it per the instructions, and will smoke a whole uncut chicken this weekend.  Patrick's Chicken recipe from the recipe section of this website calls to wrap the chicken for the first four hours and then unwrapped for 35 minutes.  Doesn't wrapping it for the first four hours defeat the purpose of smoking as wrapping it would prevent smoke from penetrating into the meat of the chicken?  I am inclined to smoke for 2 hrs unwrapped and then wrap for remaining 2 hrs and 35 minutes.  Any idea if this will yield bad results or why the recipe would recommend wrapping for the first 4 hrs?  Where is the best place to put my temp probe to ensure the chicken in thoroughly cooked?  Can't wait to report the results. 

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Patrick Chicken Question
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 08:48:17 AM »
Congratulations on your new #1 - you will love it!    As for the chicken, I don't know why the recipe calls for wrapping the bird.   Perhaps because of the butter rub?

I have done several 5lb chickens in my #2 and I never wrap them and they come out very tasty every time.  I use a dry rub, however.   I would also recommend brining the chicken before smoking.  If you do try wrapping, perhaps putting a few small holes in the top would help to get smoke on the chicken.

Related to wrapping, I tried wrapping baked potatoes and smoking and while I got some smoke flavor, it wasn't very strong.  This past weekend I smoke the potatoes unwrapped for the first 2 hours, and then wrapped them for the remaining 2 hours -- what an improvement!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

LtRog

Re: Patrick Chicken Question
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 11:02:55 PM »
Thanks swthorpe!  I think I will follow your lead and keep it uncovered.  I will report my results!