Author Topic: Smoker Comparison Chart  (Read 35414 times)

Texan in Tulsa

Smoker Comparison Chart
« on: February 18, 2016, 05:32:06 PM »
During my research on what smoker was the right choice for me, I created this Excel spreadsheet to aid in making my decision on which smoker fit my needs and budget. Over a period of a few weeks, I ended up adding more and more (probably irrelevant) details on each smoker and ultimately I decided to purchase the Model 3D from Smokin-It.

Being the generous person that I am, I thought I should share this information with the forum in hopes that it might help some prospective buyers compare between these 3 similar manufacturers and assist them in their making their purchasing decision as it did me.

All information was obtained from the manufacturers websites and/or forums and was current as of today.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: Smoker Comparison Chart
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 06:28:22 PM »
Nice job, what sticks out to me besides price! is the element size.

Thanks

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 06:32:39 PM »
Nice guide! One small point of clarification. With the addition of the optional Side Rail assemblies, you can at up to 9 shelves in the #2 and #3 smokers:

#2 - http://www.smokin-it.com/product_p/m2sra.htm
#3 - http://www.smokin-it.com/product_p/m3sra.htm

Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Joe Rinaldi

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 06:40:56 PM »
Great comparison.  That's exactly what's been going on in my head for the last couple weeks!  I just ordered a 4D today.
Weber 22 Performer
Traeger Texas Elite
Smokin-It 4D
Joe
Lovettsville VA

Kaz

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 07:11:59 PM »
Great comparison, the depth of the #3 for the cost made the decision easy.
Kaz - Pittsburgh, PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 08:09:24 PM »
Great job, Andy, and thank you for sharing it with us!  That's a solid, unbiased, comparison, and should help anyone on the fence.  I, too, was surprised that ST & CS, both, have not kept up on their element sizing!  One other thing, about the CS controllers - they are NOT PID controllers, only an analog controller with a digital display.  Old Sarge (Dave) owns one, and we did a temp test one time; the swings were every bit as big as the standard SIs! 

Information is knowledge, and knowledge is power!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 08:40:26 PM »
Yup!  That test nearly caused me to have a seizure. But I do get great chow from it and learned to just trust the controller.  I like your chart. I like it a lot. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 10:00:13 PM »
Someone post that to Amazon! or you tube asap.

Ok, that was a plug.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 10:05:29 PM »
Someone post that to Amazon! or you tube asap.

Ok, that was a plug.

Steve wants to put it on the SI website, if Andy's OK with it!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 11:53:15 PM »
I'm okay with that Tony. Tell Steve to feel free to add or edit anything that might need clarifications, etc.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 12:18:23 PM by Texan in Tulsa »
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 09:16:58 AM »
One other thing, about the CS controllers - they are NOT PID controllers, only an analog controller with a digital display.  Old Sarge (Dave) owns one, and we did a temp test one time; the swings were every bit as big as the standard SIs! 
I agree the CS controllers are just digital displays for the most part. I watched one of their sales videos and it said the controls are either by time or by internal temp, but not both.

The CS control is not programmable while the SI is. Big difference in my opinion and while I understood the difference when doing the comparison, I just recorded the control type simply as "Digital."
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 09:19:46 AM by Texan in Tulsa »
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 09:18:41 AM »
Nice guide! One small point of clarification. With the addition of the optional Side Rail assemblies, you can at up to 9 shelves in the #2 and #3 smokers:

#2 - http://www.smokin-it.com/product_p/m2sra.htm
#3 - http://www.smokin-it.com/product_p/m3sra.htm
Gregg i was not aware of that option. Thanks for bringing it up.

I didn't dive off into what type of accessories each manufacturer had available, as I was just trying to help narrow down which smoker was best for me at the time.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 12:07:30 PM »
I have used the CS for several years. About all I can say is that I think the controller may be pre-programed to accept temp and time or temp and internal temp. That is it. And those are user selectable. But no programming beyond that. It will automatically shift to a keep warm mode whet either the time runs out or the selected IT has been reached. So the SI controller is more flexible/programmable. Do if all other aspects of the smokers were to be considered equal, then the nod goes to SI for price as well as programming flexibility. And we know that SI is feature rich so they aren't really equal but I am addressing only the controller.

David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

bdlouderback

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2016, 11:24:36 AM »
I'd like to see that excel chart, but can't open it.
Thanks for the response. I've been researching these smokers and I have some questions.
How many full briskets will fit in the 3d model, ribs? It appears that the ribs and briskets don't need to be cut. Will the 3d model Temps be more aaccurate than the #3? I live in Tacoma and do a fair amount of grilling and smoking in the winter, and though it doesn't get too cold here, there are times when temperature will affect the cook.
Is there anyway to get the shipping lower? I'm sure that si can't control the pricing for shipping but getting it a little bit lower would be nice.
We're having a northwest food show at the middle of March in Seattle, any chance that smokin it will be there? The show is March 20th and 21st, Sunday, Monday. I will be there.
Thanks again for letting me know and letting me ramble on.
John Louderback
bdlouderback@yahoo.com

smokeasaurus

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2016, 12:01:20 PM »
What a valuable piece of information when considering a SS smoker  8)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top