Author Topic: Restaurant Depot is a wholesale cash and carry foodservice  (Read 27495 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
I visited the local Restaurant Depot for the first time today and man the meat selections were amazing. I picked up an 11 lb. Angus Brisket for $3.19 a lb.

They have about anything you can imagine for food, pigs (small, medium and large), whole goats, whole lambs and lots more.

The real problem is that they only sell wholesale, so unless you have a business or a non-profit you cannot shop here.

I was even considering getting a business license, until RG told me the secret way to buy here...

All you need to do is join the Kansas City BBQ Society for $35.00 per year. Once you join they will send you a membership card, with this and a one day coupon (on KCBS site) you can buy from RD.

*Note, you can print out as many one day passes you want and keep going back. I will be making a second visit this week with my friend and neighbor.

Here is a link to KCBS site if you are interested.
http://www.kcbs.us/join.php

Click the link before for locations near you:
http://www.restaurantdepot.com/locations

Greg

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: Restaurant Depot is a wholesale cash and carry foodservice
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 03:46:01 PM »
Looks like smoker heaven. 
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Ohio1956

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 04:48:38 PM »
We have one close to me and they would not let me in, thanks for the information.
Rod from Columbus, Ohio
Smokin-It #3

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 05:25:08 PM »
We have one close to me and they would not let me in, thanks for the information.

Rod,

Yes they are wholesale only unless you have the membership from KS.

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 08:14:08 PM »
You're killing me, Greg!! >:(   I'm so jealous of you guys near one of these!  My closest one is a 5 hour drive!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Ohio1956

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 08:19:51 PM »
My Maverick should be here tomorrow and now that I can go here, its game on. I am off next week so the #3 will see a lot of action.

Thanks again for the information.
Rod from Columbus, Ohio
Smokin-It #3

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 10:59:41 PM »
Greg

I gotta ask, what package co or who makes the ribs there?  Maybe region to region is different.   Just curious what is offered.   Or is it all unbranded good eats?

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Hog Wild

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 02:45:13 AM »
Thanks for the tip, Greg. There's one 8 miles from home, but I'd written it off because of that pesky business requirement.
Scott, from north Texas

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 06:49:45 AM »
Greg

I gotta ask, what package co or who makes the ribs there?  Maybe region to region is different.   Just curious what is offered.   Or is it all unbranded good eats?

I am not sure on the ribs, since I had 4 racks in the freezer I didn't check. I plan to go later this week and I will check it out for you.

They do carry Angus Beef which is made just for them. It looks like they come out of the Midwest. Below is a video on their Angus beef process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kP67hu_PGE

Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 06:51:25 AM »
Thanks for the tip, Greg. There's one 8 miles from home, but I'd written it off because of that pesky business requirement.

Scott,

They keep the meat, cheese, fish and other cold items in a large freezer (cold room) area. Before you enter, you will find loner jackets you can wear!

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 08:16:53 AM »
It turns out that a RD is about 15 minutes from my house!   However, I don't understand how an individual membership in the KC BBQ Society entitles you to jump pass the reseller requirement?   How does this work?  With the KC membership, do you also have to become a member of the RD?
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

mizzoufan

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 08:27:42 AM »
There was a previous discussion buried in a link somewhere, but no, you do not have to purchase a separate RD membership (and indeed, I don't believe you CAN unless you already qualified).  The KCBS membership just allows you to print off a day pass to take, along with your KCBS member card, to enter the store and make purchases. 

One can only assume that KCBS made a deal with them so that members could get some quality meat without having to 'know somebody' after they got to a competition.
Steven from KCMO

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 08:34:32 AM »
Thanks...have you used RD?   I assume pricing/quality are better than a Costco or Sams?
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 08:55:13 AM »
Thanks...have you used RD?   I assume pricing/quality are better than a Costco or Sams?

Yes pricing is better than Costco and Sams with a lot more selection....

It takes about one week to get your membership from KCBS, they have a link on their site for a day pass. Just print it out, take you new ID card and a photo ID and you are in at RD.

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 09:08:12 AM »
Thanks, Greg...I just signed up for a membership with KCBS.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2